Dogs Community
Fluid in abdomen

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Fluid in abdomen

7 Year old Female Jack Russell xrays show fluid in abdomen.  Her stomach continues to feel swollen and our vet doesn't know what is wrong.  2 weeks ago she started having diarrhea and occasional vomiting, she is a nervous nelly and we were all out of town.  She also lost a little weight.  We thought at first she was just stressed out, which she WAS!  Even since we had been home for several days her symptoms continued.  All along she has has a good appetite and her blood work came back normal. At first the vet thought it was intusseption but the radiologist did not agree.  The radiologist suggest it may be severe gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, septic abdomen or abnormal cell growth (cancer).  He suggest an ultrasound or barium, so my vet set us for an oral barium but on that morning we got to the vet and Simone (dog) was looking a lot better.  The vet put her on an antibiotic in case she needed surgery, so when Simone seemed a little stronger and more active we thought the antibitic (antibiotic) was helping.  
So we decided to wait on the barium, the vet now also gave her a probiotic, the diarreah (diarrhea) and vomitting have subsided but her stomach is still swollen.  She is pretty active (not quite as much as usual) but she wants to play fetch right now!  I guess it was difficult to rule out things based on the xray alone since all the fluid is blocking the view. Help?
Ok, I've been thinking about this......Are you sure her bloodwork showed NO abnormalties?
If so, That should rule out Liver & Kidney Disease....Both can cause fluid in abdomen, but show up on bloodwork.....
Pancreatitis can also be ruled out....(Would have showed up in bloodwork).

Does she have any other symptoms? Like excessive drinking and urination? If not, rule out Cushings Disease...

Did your Vet consider draining the fluid and doing an amniocentesis? Checking the fluid for bacteria, blood, cancer cells, etc.? Plus, relieving the pressure of the fluid. This could be done to rule other things out....

I don't understand what the Barium study would show.....Other than blockage....But you say the vomiting & diarreah (diarrhea) have stopped?

So, that leaves me with 3 choices to consider:

Heartworm Disease
Tick Borne Disease
Congestive Heart Failure

Is she running a fever? Thus, an infection somewhere? Is she still doing better on the antibiotic? What Antibiotic is she taking?

I'm sorry I'm not sure any of this will help....However, it might give you something else to think about....Take care & please come back with updates on Simone.....I hope your Vet can figure it out, soon....Maybe a second opinion is in order.........Karla

Thank you for your comment Karla, your thoughts are helpful to me!  As far as her bloodwork goes I was told the only thing flagged are things due to diarreah (diarrhea) (low electrolites) in fact the vet said her kidneys and liver look good.  So pancreatitis can be ruled out too, good, the radiologist suggested that before we had the bloodwork back.
No excessive drinking or urination.  Yes the vomitting and diarreah (diarrhea) have subsided, she is on medication for nausea though (Metoclopramide). The vomitting stopped a couple days before she started this med but the diarreah (diarrhea) only stopped after taking this med.  
The antibiotic is Metronidazole.
No she has not been running a fever.
Simones belly swelling seems to fluctuate. Today is seems to be almost her normal size just tight or full?  
No my vet did not mention draining the fluid and I am wondering why not.
Currently we are watching Simone to see if she continues to improve.  
They checked her stool and saw no worms and she takes a heartwork preventative.  
PS Simone is a little more active each day also.  I jsut hope once she finishes all the medications that symptoms do not return.  And yes I think we will be looking for a second opinion if symtoms (symptoms) persist.  Thank you and any I welcome any ideas or suggestions!
PSS I was feeding my dogs Cannide dog food and I have taken them off of that and been making chicken, rice and veggies the past week.  
I'll keep thinking about this......Let me know if you think of anything else that seems different.....Thanks, Karla
Also, post your original question in the "Experts Forum". Put it under "Animal Health-General". A vet will answer you, but it will take a couple of days....She's really good and may can give you some other ideas......You can scroll down & find the forum towards the bottom of this page on the right side........Karla
MY 5 YEAR OLD MALE JACK RUSSELL IS EXPIERENCING THE SAME SIMPTONS.  SUDDEN ONSET.  JUST THIS LAST WEEK HE WAS LAYING AROUND ALOT COULDNT JUMP UP ON BED.  THEN ON SAT MORN WE NOTICED HIS BELLY WAS VERY SWOLLEN.  SAME SITUATION WITH VET CANT SEE MUCH WITH XRAY, BLOOD WORK LOOKS GOOD.  THEY WANT TO DO MORE EXPENSIVE TESTING.