Dogs Community
Food reaction

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Food reaction

We changed my dogs food and he had an aweful reaction. He is back on the original food but his lips are still swollen and bleeding (from licking) right under his nose. What can I do to get him to stop licking them so they will heal?
Have you tried Benedryl...?  If he had an allergic reaction to his food, and his lips are still swollen, then they are also itchy.
Benedryl should alleviate the itchiness, and reduce the swelling.
Call the vet and find out how much your dog weighed on his last visit. The typical dosage of Benedryl for dogs is usually 1mg per pound of dog. Given 3 or 4 times a day...ask your vet what he recommends.

Be sure you get plain Benedryl...( without added decongestant )....The only ACTIVE ingredient should be Diphenhydramine HCI
The tablets are very small, and are easy to stuff into a treat.
Now, I'm not sure, but I wonder if you could also put some type of medicated lip balm on him...?  
When you talk to the vet, ask them about it. They may have something just for dogs.
Good luck...I hope your dog gets some relief, and his lips heal soon.
Connie
I just talked with my Vet about Benedryl yesterday.  She said the
"normal" dose is 1mg per pound of dog, and the dose can be repeated every 8 hours.  She does not recommend any more than that, unless the dog is evaluated first.
If you do use Benedryl, buy the pills. Do not buy the liquid, it may contain alcohol, and that is not good for your dog.