Getting Lucy to swallow a capsule
I have the herbal supplements that Dr. Cheng recommended for my little Lucy, a Westipoo, who was recently hospitalized for chronic kidney failure.  She is now 8 lbs having lost a pound this year.

The problem I have is that just when I think Lucy has swallowed a capsule, she seems to reach into some pocket in her mouth and spits it out.  I haven't been able to get one into her yet.

Can I open the capsules and mix the two together with water and give it to Lucy by mouth w/a syringe like I do with the Carafate?

Fortunately, she has been eating since I brought her home... not much but she is eating.... a little at a time which gives me some hope.  
I would think you could mix them as long as they aren't time-release formulas.  Also, for success in 'pilling' I find that if you put the pill behind the last molar while keeping the head tipped up a little and then massaging the throat til they swallow, they can't reposition the pill and spit it out.  I don't have 100% success rate but but it's still way better than I had before.
Good luck!
Thanks...  will try behind the last molar.  Appreciate your responding.
Did you ask Dr. Cheng if you can open the capsule and put it in some food?  
Can she have pill pocket, cream cheese or some peanut butter? If so, try putting it in a little of one of those.
When giving capsules, I have pretty good luck, if I can explain this and depending on the animal I am pilling, usually sitting on the floor either in front of or behind them.  I place my thumb and a finger on either side of the mouth behind the molars which will open the mouth.  I have the head tilted back and drop the capsule Diwn in the back of the throat. Hold the mouth closed and massage the throat a little or lightly blow in the nose.  Works most of the time. Even pilled  the cats that way.  ya gotta be quick,  :-)