Dogs Community
Going to the bathroom outside but then inside

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

So we have had our puppy since she was 3 months old and she is approaching 4 months on Sept 2nd.

She is a yorkie shih poo and can hold her bladder all night and day no problems whatsoever, however if we dont watch her she will just go inside randomly. Is this normal?

She loves the carpet for some reason. Will not do it on the tile or anything just on the carpet.

We watch her like a hawk and if we cant we put her in her crate.  

I notice too when I take her out that sometimes she will run right to the grass then sometimes I have to lift her up and put her on the grass and say "go pee" because she just wants to follow me and not go.  

I just want to know if this is normal for a puppy as I have never had one. The fact that she can hold her movements all night and day is good considering she is only 4 months old and a small dog.

Any suggestions would be great.

Welcome to puppy ownership.  :-)  4 mos is not that old and I usually tell people not to expect too much until 6 mos of age, of course, there are exceptions to that.  First off, let me say, little dogs can be difficult to house break.  I see you are using a crate and I do believe in crate training, when done and used correctly.  I would suggest you don't carry her to the place you want her to potty.  Either call her to the location or put her on a leash and take her there.  You want her to learn how to get there on her own 4 feet and not fly there.  LOL!  I do suggest you not give her the run of the house but keep her wandering areas down to a minimum.  Her bladder is small so the more she drinks and the more activity she had during the day will make her potty more often.  Make sure you take her out when she first wakes up, after she eats and probably at least once an hour during the day. Again, make  her walk to the designated area and praise her when she does go.  If you *catch* her in the act, give her a firm *NO!* and take her out to her spot, even if she has gone already.  Chastising her after the fact is about useless.  You can do some searches on the internet as to potty training and crate training.  Here is one link
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/housebreaking.htm

What is going to work is time, patience and consistency.
Thanks :)

I will not pick her up and bring her to the spot anymore.  Most of the time if she has to go right away I dont have to but sometimes I feel rushed to get to work so I want her to do her business so I can get ready.  Its like having a new baby lol.

She doesnt really like the leash but is getting used to it. She hasnt gone to the washroom being on it but I am sure that is normal.

I dont get mad at her when she goes and I say no and bring the poo and her outside when that happens.  

I give her treats when she goes on her own.

We crate her at night beside our bed, and we have her in the kitchen all day when we are at work.  I felt that she could use more space, is that wrong to do?  Sometimes its easier when I am cooking to have her near me and know that she cant get out and go to the washroom.  

We have finally got the routine down pat and we are trying out best to be patient.  I will wait until 6 months to be concerned and read up on the crate training.
Yep, consider yourself the mother of a one year old, soon to be a two year old.  :-)
That's great she sleeps in the crate all  night.  
That's great she is confined to the kitchen during the day, assuming she can't get into any trash or anything toxic or electrical cords.  
When you are home, what you might do is  put a light weight nylon leash on her and let her drag it around so you have access to getting her, if need be.  You do not want to leave a leash on her unless you are there to monitor her.  When you can't watch her, confine her to the kitchen or her crate. She is still a pretty young puppy.  You might want to leave something with her urine or stool on it in the area you want her to use so she gets accustomed to that being her potty area.  
LOL on the waiting until 6 mos.  It may be sooner or later.  Hate to say it but I had a male Yorkie years ago that I could  not keep from marking under our dining room table and, yes, he was neutered.  
Well good luck.  Being consistent and patient will, hopefully, pay off.  
Margot has given you some excellent advice!  :)

I just want to add that if you do catch her going in the house, resist your instinctual urge to shout loudly at her for doing it.  Simply walk over to her, say "OUTSIDE!" and take her outside.  The reason you never want to freak out at them for going in the house is that dogs don't make the connection that you're yelling at them because they went inside instead of out unless you show them where "out" is.  If you simply yell and don't take them out, they will think that they did wrong because they went in front of you, and will do everything they can not to go when you are in their presence.  This includes sneaking off to other less-used parts of the house so they can go in peace without you seeing them.  It also hinders getting them to go while you're walking them on a leash because, after all, when you're the one holding the other end of the leash, you're always there so they CAN'T go because, to their way of thinking, they'll get yelled at for eliminating in front of you.  

Puppies can be so frustrating sometimes, but once you get past the rough patch of toilet training, you have a wonderful lifelong friend to cherish so it's well worth all the head games you have to play with them in the beginning.  :)

Ghilly
Awesome!!! Thanks guys for all of the information. We stopped carrying her to the grass and we just walk over there and she follows and we tell her to go pee. When I know she has to poo i just say again go pee and she goes.. Its working out well.  

Thanks again for all of your help
Sounds encouraging but you need to keep up the routine, she is still a young puppy.
Ah, sorry she won't be learning how to fly.  (wink)  :-)