Dogs Community
Golden Lithargic and won't eat

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Golden Lithargic and won't eat

Was on this post Sunday 1:00 am becasue our 11 1/2 year old golden did not eat his 5 pm dinner.  He has never in his life not come for dinner.  He was very lithargic, but did get up once to go outside to the bathroom, but when done laid down in grass rather than coming back in.  He eventually with coaxing came back in to lye down. At times he seemed that he was not focused on us and when we called his name even loudly, he did not react.  We ended up taking him to the emergency vet at 2 am.  They took xrays and although his heart and lungs were clear he had a tmor on his spleen.  The vet could not tell if there were more and gave us a 60/40 % chance with surgery.  With nothing done, it would eventually burst and he would die.  We could not stand to put him through a surgery at his age, although he had allergies since he was young, he had never been sick a day in his life, and we did not want to cause unneeded pain, so we made the hardest desicion and had him put down with his loving family surrounding him.  We brought him home and buried him the next day in our back yard under a maple tree.  Love you Chance "my little lambey / mutton head" saddly missed!!!
You must still be in shock, everything happened so suddenly.  I think maybe its better that way, though, cause you don't have to watch your best friend suffer, and hope he  gets better, and it never happens.  Either way, its horrible, and really hurts.  Chance sounds like he had a great life, with a lot of love, which I hope gives you some comfort.
I am SO sorry you had to go through this!  My deepest sympathies to you and your family.  

You did the right thing.  When we take in a pet to live with us, they depend on us to keep them safe from harm, to keep them free from pain.  You lived up to your end of the deal by gently helping him from this world so that he didn't have to suffer.  He'll always be with you.

Again, my sympathies.

Ghilly
I'm really really sorry your beloved friend and companion passed away. It has all happened so suddenly too. The one good thing about this is that he didn't have time to suffer very much at all.
You were totally brave and strong and put his needs first.
He lived a happy healthy life, a good life -not short either. He had love, he had his family, and he had happiness through his life, and that all counts for so much, believe me.
Bless you. I hope that the terrible pain of loss will change slowly into a flower of remembrance in your heart for him.
I am so sorry for your loss. Those of us who post here, do understand what you are going through. We have been there. The Decisions we make for our pets are never easy, but no matter what we do, we are only trying to do the best we can for them, because we love them so very much. The pain of lossing them is overwhelming. Some people say that with time, the pain will be less....I disagree....The pain is always there, it is never LESS, but with time, it will come LESS OFTEN, and only when we allow it to do so.  The love is also always there,...it too is never less....but unlike the pain, it continues to grow. Loving your dog will never stop even though they are gone...he has given you a legacy of love....that is his gift to you...love is eternal.
My thoughts and prayers are with you both.
Connie