Dogs Expert Forum
Grade 6 heart murmur in young Chihuahua

Welcome to the DOGS Forum where you can post your dog related health questions! Questions will be answered by a veterinarian.

Grade 6 heart murmur in young Chihuahua

I got an 18 mo old female Chihuahua from a breeder last week as a companion since my beloved Chihuahua died of old age earlier this year, and when I took her to the vet to make sure she was healthy, I was told she has a grade 6 heart murmur and likely only has months to live. The doctor took a chest x-ray and her heart is very enlarged and round. It's pushing her windpipe up. Right now, her lungs sound clear and she is not coughing. We have an appointment next week with a veterinary cardiologist, but I'm frantic with worry now. Is there any hope for a longer life or is this little puppy going to die before she's 2 years old? How long can medication prolong her life? How long might her life be without medication?
Make sure you tell the breeder. Not a good sign of good breeding. :( I'm sorry about that. Dogs are the best.
Your little one is going to need meds...Once the murmur gets bad she is prone to congestive heart failure. First sign is cough..especially at night..take her respiration rates...check by looking at digital clock..count each breath for a minute...resp rate for a heart problem is anywhere between  20 and 40 breaths per min...watch fluid intake..if she's drinking lots of water that's a sign...if shes laying down a lot not playing and interacting ..tires easily and has increased resp rate...start to keep a diary of resp rates with time and activity.that will help dr...loss of appetite..color of tongue should be pink..that tells you if there is oxygen being put back to body...need to get chest X-ray...blood work...need to find out what type of murmur...diostolic or systolic..that will tellyou if it's from a valve ..mitro valve left side or valve on right side  left bring fluid into lungs..r brings fluid into tummy...echo test needs to be done...it's a Doppler non evasive...this will cost money time change of your life bc she needs a lot of attention and help to make sure it does not get worse...I am living with this and doing it everyday and my life is on hold but as long as my little girl don't know she's sick I will continue ....it's all worth it....hope kthis info helps..if you need more contact me...