Dogs Community
Great pyrenees/pancreatitus/cancer

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Great pyrenees/pancreatitus/cancer

I have an 8 year old great pyrenees, she has never been spayed, we were going to breed her and did'nt, by that time they wanted a rediculous amount of money to do it. Fouteen days ago she had a mammory tumor removed, it was cancerous, but had not spread...She was given antibiotics and pain meds.  We were only able to get them down her with people food, (vienna sausages) Two days ago she started vomiting and had become very weak, we took her back in this morning almost comatose and found out that she has pancreatitis....They have her at the hospital for 24/48 hour iv, antibiotics and glucose in hopes she will recover....I don't have alot of money and the surgery two weeks ago was 500.00, this new bill I have no idea what it will be.  I keep getting told that she is old, and the cancer could come back and if she makes it through this visit with pancreatitis, that will most likely return as well!!!  I love her so much, she is my dear friend....Does any one have any advice, or similar situations to help me better understand how to help her if she makes it through this...keep in mind...She was her normal self just 2 1/2 days ago...   :(  Help...
Yes -the cancer may come back. But No, it might not come back!
Pancreatitis may very well come back, as dogs who have suffered once from this, very often do get recurrences.
But it is to a great degree preventable. She will have to go on a strict diet, and that will certainly help to keep it at bay. There are also supplements as well as good wholesome dog food, which can boost the immune system as well, and therefore possibly hold any cancer recurrences at bay too.
Although mammary cancers are quite common in older unspayed females, you can fight her corner, and do the best for her. It is very likely her energy will return, and her general health improve a lot after this bout of pancreatitis is got over.
And spaying her now may not make a great deal of difference. Although if she WAS spayed, it would certainly prevent any uterine or ovarian cancer developing, and the dreaded Pyometra of course.

I am not expert with canine nutrition. You could certainly message or send a note to Misfits4Me (who will probably come along here soon, and give some advice here) She knows a good deal about dogs and good dog foods.
But first principles are:
NO people food AT ALL
No fats (or only the minimum Omega oils required for general health)
No rich food of any kind. Even Turkey has been known to cause upsets in dogs who are inclined to Pancreatitis.
No salt, seasonings,sugar or food additives.
The main one is no table scraps because they are notorious for starting Pancreatitis in dogs. And no human treats (chips, crisps, popcorn....etc etc)

The best foods? Well I don't know all there is to know....but I would say make sure you get a good basic dry dog food which is suitable for her with a sensitive pancreas.
(If Misfits4Me comes along here I know she will have some help for you in this direction)
Fresh foods...? Chicken breast (skinned) -boiled, green beans, carrots, peas....venison and rabbit if you can obtain that at all where you live -is about the best meat for dogs as it is highly nutritious and about as fat-free as you can get (Depends how and where you buy it as to whether it will be too expensive for you or not) If you know people who go hunting, maybe they can bring home a few rabbits for you?)
White fish (boiled) is also excellent for dogs.

Don't give up yet with her. She will need a little time for her system to recover from the bout of Pancreatitis, and her diet will need strict and careful management for the rest of her life. And yes -unfortunately a dog doesn't come cheap.
But here's hoping all will be well. Good luck.

But first principles are:
NO people food AT ALL