Dogs Community
Grooming a Labradoodle
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Grooming a Labradoodle

I have a really curly labradoodle. The groomer I usually bring him to has been out of the country on vacation so I decided to bring him somewhere else while I waited. That was a mistake. I grew out his hair since it is winter and very cold here in MN. She told me that he was completely matted and she would most likely have to clip it all off. I asked her to try and leave a couple inches on so that he could handle being outside in the cold, but she clipped it all off. She left some on his head and tail, that's it. I just had him groomed 2 months ago so I don't think he was matted as badly as she said. It's uneven and she gave his a tail a pom pom like a poodle gets. I don't like the cut at all and I never wanted him to get the poodle cut ever. I had to run to Target to get him a sweater on the way home so that he won't be chilly. Thankfully it will warm up here next week and his fur will grow. She just seemed to think I was a bad dog parent because he was matted. He looks silly and I feel bad that I let her groom him. Any suggestions on how to find a good back up groomer?
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
974371_tn?1364538460
Oh my.  Hard to know how matted he was without actually seeing the coat.  With coats like that, you cannot just top brush, you usually have to use a steel comb Down to the base if the hair.  Is this an independent groomer or dies she work fir someone?  If so, I would voice your displeasure with the owner.
You might check with your Vet for a recommendation.  If you got your dog from a reputable breeder near you, contact them for a referral.
If you have an All Breed club in your area, that would be another source.
Us there. Labradoodles club in your area or even a Poodle club?  You can contact them.
Check the AKC.org site and you may be able to find some breed specific clubs near you.
Blank
1006035_tn?1391310794
I do use a steel comb and brush to groom him at home. She saved the hair/fur for me to see and it did not look matted, just a little tangled. She is the owner of the shop so there is no one to complain to. Poor guy did not want to go out this morning to the bathroom even though we had him all bundled up in winter gear, it's just gonna be uncomfortable for a while. Thanks for the suggestions! :)
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dogs Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...