Dogs Community
HAS ANYONE HAD A DOG REACTION BAD TO ROUTINE SHOTS???

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

HAS YOUR DOG HAD A REACTION TO ROUTINE INJECTIONS???
I BELIEVE NOW I FOUND THE SOURCE OF MY CHI'S PROBLEM, BUT NOW SHES GOT RUNNING BOWELS/BLOOD, AFTER GOIN THRU ALL THE VETS STUFF OF EXAMINING STATING SHE PROBABLY HAS CUSHING DISEASE, MY DOG WENT INTO CONVULSIONS WITHIN A MINUTE OF HER SHOTS, RAPID, BREATHING, DARK RED GUMS AND TONGUE, AGAIN A 2ND CONVULSION OR SEIZURE, AND NOW HER BOWELS, SHES NOT THE SAME...ALL SECONDS AFTER HER SHOTS..
SHES NEVER BEEN SICK OR SYMPTOMATIC BEFORE...
Yes, I have heard of bad reactions to shots.  I know that there are people who refuse to get the routine injections because of this.  I am sorry your dog is not feeling well.  I hope that she is feeling and getting better.
I'm so sorry to hear about what your dog and you have had to endure.

I've heard of it. Our Siberian husky has to take Benadryl  (an antihistimine?) as a preventive to side-effects before and after her vaccinations and the vaccinations have to be split up so she can tolerate them.  Last year she developed diarrhea from her vaccinations.

Dogs usually have an allergic reaction within 20 minutes after the shot. Has your dog ever had an allergic reaction to vaccinations before?  If so, is your vet aware  of it?

Am not clear - does your dog have Cushings or was it the vaccinations that made her so sick.

We have an Akita and most of the other "Akita people" I know do not recommend shots every year for their dogs.  Have you spoken to other "chihuahua people" (owners) about their experiences.  Sometimes they know more than the vet - owners don't make money  treating dogs, vets do - even the good ones.

Hope your dog is alright.

lonewolf

I assumed after reading every symptom of my chi, it must have been reaction to shot.
Got second and third vet opinion, third vet said, she acts like cushings.
I am about to go nuts here..
Facts: took my 5 chi's to vet for routine injections 5/14
within 1 min my chi went into convulsions (no prior reactions or seizures/convulsions)
they grabb her gave her additional shot, she looked sedated, they kept for 4 hrs.
#1 Vet said, could be shot reaction, or stress from coming to vet, or she has a hernia and vet said she pushed on it quite hard so could be pain
Next day chi is not in good shape, called #1 Vet to schedule her for hernia surgery thinking shes in pain and requested pain med for her, #1 Vet said, shes busy for next 2 days, take her to another vet or hosp which opens in 4 hours. that pissed me off!!!
#2 vet saw her, she had another convulsion/seizure, he said, she could have seizures
or just be in pain, prescribed tramadol 7rimadyl for 1-2 weeks, see if pain meds stop seizures, or she just stress at vets.
Next day, shes panting, breathing hard, tears in eyes, I know shes going to die, you could tell the stress on her.  Cld #2 Vet, hes out, assoicate in.
#3 Vet said, her blood has some one point high elevations, dogs always pant when excited at vets, is my house hot, I have 4 others chi's no one panting, house cold,
so he gave her ativan shot, she would not relax, he was shocked cause he said, he gave her enough med in shot to put down 25lbs, shes 7lbs, hes beleives shes got cushings.
I made him xray her heart, no enlargement, trachea has very skinny area, thats why breathing difficult. and take her home.
Had she not got the ativan shot to calm the breathing she would have died.
Now she has extreme bloody, stinching, mucos, running bowels for 3 days, she still delicate, doesn't move around alot, and not my dog...
I stopped the rimadyl/tramodol, started her on soft dog food, cottage cheese, pectin, amoxiciliian i had yesterday, waiting to see stool today, shes very delicate..
after shot her symptoms: convulsions within one min
vomiting, very high fever, red red gums and tongue, legarthic, panting, breathing rapid,
and now her bowels w/stinch loose. She does eat when hand feed and drink.
So thats what the deal is, cushing or shot anaplaysia reaction...what you thing?
Have a nice day, and hug your dearest friend, for we never know if today will be the last!!!
It sounds like all those vets are making your dog sick.

If she had a severe reaction to her vaccinations so quickly and has no history of seizures then it sounds like she is allergic to the vaccinations.  If she has Cushings, being vaccinated could make her allergy even more severe.  Our Siberian husky had an upper respiratory infection when she was a puppy and the vet authorized her vaccination in spite of this.  She was extremely ill and they thought she wouldn't make it but she did. That's why I would guess that your dog might have both BUT I personally would never let her have anymore vaccinations without (1) giving her antihistimes before and after the injections and  (2) to split them up so she doesn't get the whole dose at once.  That's what we do with our husky.

If she eats and drinks if you give it to her by hand, that's a good thing.  She isn't giving up.  Dogs tend to hide their pain but your dog can't help showing hers.

Is she still panting and feverish?  Maybe you should consider taking her back to the vet you trusted most.  If you feel that it might traumatize her too much, dogs can take aspirin (not Tylenol) and that might help with the fever.

This isn't "scientific" but IMHO your dog needs a lot of love and caring after everything she's been through.  She also needs veterinary care from a competent vet.  Right now, she needs you and it sure does sound like you've been there giving her everything she wants and needs.

Please know that you can post here as often as you want.  We'd like to see how your "girl" is doing.

Hugs and good thoughts to both of you ....

lonewolf and Miss Puff, the allergic to vaccinations husky

We might just make it, Thank God for my prayers, I gave amoxicillin and pectin last night on my own, and today, we are eating very good, shes stimulated enough to walk, we even walked outside to pee...Oh, my gosh, I have held her, caress, love, keep her calm, talk, its crazy, for days I tried to keep her alive w/me...and I am so proud today, not sure about any damage or relapse could happen...
She will never get another rabie or vaccination period, ever, ever in her lifetime. I live in TX and thats the law, not for the lil Chi, she stays inside in the bed away from people and other creatures,,,,and shes not a bitter...
Thank you so much, this site has actually been my life support while having a crisis, that non dog lovers do not understand how critical it is for us during the duress of our pets, I feel so much more relieve just talking about my issues and offering support for others, so again, thank you for all your support and the welcome wagon!!!
Give a hug to your pet from me!!
I am soooo glad to hear your chi is doing better.  You and the prayers of everyone who loves and cares about you and your chi have really helped her desire to live.  It's the law here too about vaccinations = (

Please do stay in contact.  You have so much to offer to those of us who have dogs - sorry -  "four legged family members".

Big tail wags, licks and drool from:  NumberNine, Miss Puff, Rawhide and Hoss

lonewolf

My vet has started giving vacinatiions every 3 years instead of the normal yearly.  Its been found that the vacines can compromise their immune systems.  
I had a 16 year old with bladder cancer and the vet would NOT give her any vacines.  
Follow your own instincts - we know what is best for our fur babies.
Our dogs have been getting the every three year vaccinations.  Our 12 yr old Akita doesn't  get any injections, by her age she doesn't need them but the law still requires it  =  (

I agree with you - follow our instincts and listen to what our "fur babies" are telling us. They are communicating, we have to learn to listen.

lonewolf

I have a friend from work who loves all kinds of animals.  She told me the one day she brought her cat to the vet to get her vaccination.   The moment after, her cat went into seizures and died within a few minutes.  Her vet said it was probably due to the vaccine.

Now she refuses to get her animals vaccinated.  I too fear for my little one, because she is not that healthy from the time I got her at 8 weeks old.  I brought her in several times and say, they don't know what is wrong with her.  Until they find out, I refuse to give her any vaccines.

But like everyone says, it's the Law.   How do you by pass that?  Without getting into trouble??     Let them give you a fine for refusing any vaccine for your pet?
You know, I have 5 dogs and they are Chihuahuas, so they are little, well I have a huge master bedroom w/sit in living room and large master bath, the size of a big one bedroom apt, that now is their domain,,,,I have 10 kids, 8 grandkids, lots of traffic, so now the dogs stay in master suite, and only go in a fenced area back yard, I do not expose them to any of my family or friends, I keep them seperated for the fear of not getting them shots, I don't want them to bite anyone and get in trouble for rabies, I don't want someone to walk into my house w/exposure to distemper, etc and my dogs get in trouble from not being vaccinated, so I am now going through extreme circumstances to protect my dogs....So far, they are happy, they sleep w/Papa and Grandma and watch the big screen TV with us, what I am saying we spend the majority of time in the area, and the rest of the big ole house is for guest, LOL, this is a lot of trouble to keep them off shots...I have one Chi thats real little and wants to go bye bye, sometimes we take him, but will not set him down in public nor let someone pet him...I am very protective over the dogs...The back yard is theirs and theirs only....is funny, when I cook, they know if they are gonna get a treat, they can tell by smell or what door I open and all of them get real quiet and wait at the baby gate, I come around the corner, they flip out...
My Family knows these babies are first, they go, I go...I depend on my little friends...they nurture me, I am now retired and they keep me company...I am only 48 yrs old w/early retirement...w/out the dogs, hum??? I've had cancer, seizures, one chi would know exactly when my siezure was fixing to it, during cancer, one just stayed by side quietly and softly till those days were gone, recently went thru death of one, I thought I was gonna die too, but got a new puppy, and hes just the happiest dog I have ever met, always smiling, he was so happy, he helped thru the mourning....yep, I love em', and I know they love me...I will stand up for them...I rescue many animals and place, which a difficult job, want to keep them, some are large dogs, but I can't they are too big for my situation, can't keep a large pinned up....thats my long story on how I am never getting another vacine again...how would anyone know??? Except the vet and me...??? If I am wrong, I am wrong,   I hope this doesn't back fire on me...in which it could, its a gamble...they all got their recent set of updated vacines, and I hope it to be their last...The answer is I don't know what will happen...........
Yes, there is still Rabies around.   But what are the chances of your own animals
getting into a fight with a rabid animal?     Very slim I suppose.   I believe it may be mandatory  for politicial sake.

Unless they know more than what we're told,, like mad cow disease?
I had to have my 2 labs vaccinated because they are being boarded next month and they are due for their shots.  Both did fine last year when they got their shots, but this time my oldest black lab/shepard mix is acting strange a DAY later after his vaccinations.  He will not lift his head, he won't wag his tail and has no appetite. I callled his vet and they said that some dogs have a "delayed" reaction to vaccinations that usually occur a day after their shots.  Does this sound familiar to any one out there???  The vet said it usually lasts for 24 hrs and then goes away.  So far I have not found anything online to confirm this.  
Watch out for convulsions, runny bowels, and panting,,,the panting was my biggest clue and hardest thing...Had I not insisted by going to 3 different vets, I would have lost my dog, it was her first time to react...
convulsions
runny bowels
fever
tremoring sometimes
panting, heartrate
Some symptoms came late, like panting for no good reason....they gave her a shot of ativan (relaxed her) and I pumped gatorade by syringe, and held for almost 5 days and had to keep her very calm, the calming important...
Watch out,,,keep close eye or get to vet..I am sorry this happened...keep me posted and welcome to the dog forum...
wow it scares me to get my 13v week old her shots shes had two sets and did ok but we go for last set 2 weeks. my last baby had his shots every year and did fine, here in ga you have to get shots every year but i would love to do every 2 or 3 going ask vet if they need all thoses shots every year.cant they run test see what they need.
When I have small low poundage pups, there are 4 series of shots, then the rabie shots, I wait until my pups weight is up before they are allowed the rabie shot...they are usually 6 to 9 months old...
Plus, when you do go in for immunizations, don't leave the vets office so quick, take you time, cause sometimes it takes a minute for reaction....the day my girl reacted, I had 5 Chi's, so we were there longer...had I just taken her,,,,her reaction would have hit her coming home in the vehicle...
You can ask your vet to administer 1/2 dose then wait, then the other 1/2 dose for safety.
My dog's first signs was convulsion/seizure...then came the rest of symptoms...
This particular dog will never get another shot....not her....and the rest will take only 1/2 doses then other 1/2 dose..not relying on vet opinions again, I am going w/ my instinct and knowlege from experience...
Mine has reaction to the liquid flea you put on the spine ... she is an 11lb ShiTzu .. would throw up bile in the crate for no reason .. finally, by chance we realized it and now wears around the neck collar with no more vomiting!!!

She also spreads out her 5 in 1 vaccines into 2-3 doses as well as takes Benadryl with each vaccination.

I have learned alot in this thread.  Great info.  Thanks for everybody taking such time to post such valuable info.

Cheryl
I do not use flea meds either, we treat the yard instead, and if needed once in awhile a bathe Liquid Dawn Blue Original Sink Dish Soap, its kills the fleas immediately on contact...otherwise, we treat the yard,,and we treat knowing we have pets, so they don't get sick...
Treat the source, you treat the problem...And, I live in Central Texas, we all kinds of weather, neighbors w/dogs, cats, country, and no problems...
My 5 year old dog was vaccinated about 2 days ago and ever since yesterday morning she has been shaking, tremors and she has thrown ujp 2x's, she has no appetite and she is sleeping all day.  I tried to pick her up and she yelped.  I don't know if this is a reaction from her shots but i know that this is not normal for her.  She hasn't been vaccinated in 3 years b/c she has always been healthy but I had to vaccinate her b/c she is starting doggie day care on monday but my poor baby what am i going to do! Its sunday and the vet is closed please help, is there anything I can give her I am a nervous reck!
Hubby took the puppies in to the Vet today and the youngest a year old Boston Terrier Bull is having all the reactions you spoke about and he is hunching up his back and seems to be in pain .... please tell me how your love one turned out, is there anything I can do? It is 10 pm and Vets are closed in our area till at least 8:30am. He was acting somewhat better when I got home from work but he is right back to it after a nice nap no appitite no spunk and this guy is a clown in puppy clothing! I am just sick with worry! Any thing you can tell me would help I am sure.
Ikes_ Mom
I know this was an old post, but I wanted to post this just as general information.

Dogs, like people, can develop allergies to anything at any time.  Even things that never bothered them can suddenly cause an allergy, and vaccinations especially can cause dangerous reactions, from nervousness to hives to something as serious as anaphylactic shock.

Recent studies have proven that many dogs today are way overvaccinated.  If your dog is healthy and has a normal immune system, it is simply overkill to vaccinate them every year, or even every other year.  Many vets still insist on it, but they are becoming fewer and further between.  Those who are adamant about it are more likely than not more interested in the income the vaccinations generate for them than they are in immunizing the pet.  Face it.  Vaccinations are a money-maker for vets.  They send out reminders to every one of their patients every year, and it costs them a couple of dollars to make 500 or 600 times the cost of the vaccine itself plus the cost of the office visit.  In a hospital that has a couple of hundred clients, it's a nice way to fill the bank account.

Be aware that vaccines every year are, as I said, not only not necessary, they can sometimes be dangerous.  Injection site carcinomas are becoming more and more common, so much so that drug companies have changed the protocol that the vets follow for giving the injections.  Instead of giving the shots in the scruff of the neck or in the hip, it is now recommended to give injections in the leg.  The reason for this is that should an injection site carcinoma develop, the leg can be amputated and the animal's life saved.  If the carcinoma develops in the scruff of the neck, it's not likely that the animal is going to survive even if the tumor is removed, because by the time they are discovered they have often infiltrated other areas.

Instead of automatically taking your pet in for yearly vaccinations, instead have your vet draw blood and have titers run.  The titers will tell you what kind of immunity your pet still has from his last vaccinations.  Recent studies indicate that healthy animals with normal immune systems often have full immunity YEARS after having received their last vaccinations.  As long as they have their initial puppy or kitten vaccinations followed by their booster shot the next year, normal, healthy animals have, in some cases, full immunity for almost the entire rest of their lives.  So before you automatically shell out the money for the shots, instead have bloodwork done, examine the titers and see what's up.  You might be able to go another two or three years (or even longer) before exposing your pet to injections that have been found to sometimes do more harm than good.

Ghilly
I didn't have a dog react to the Rabies shot but my cat did. She got real sick and I had to take her to the ER vet. I told the vet there that I didn't want to give her the Rabies shot anymore then. I didn't see a reason for it.It's stupid. She's an inside cat. He told me that I  HAVE to because it's the law. Well, I have three years to think about it. Fortunately it was the every three years Rabies shot. It makes me mad. They said they could give her Benedryl next time before the shot but I don't know if I want to put her through that again. What would happen if I refused to do the shots anymore? I don't normally like to go around breaking the law but I don't want to put my pet through that again.
If so many animals are reacting to this shot maybe they need to reevaluate the shot and see if some changes need to be made.
We don't have the rabies shot here in the UK, but distemper/Parvo/leptospirosis (Nobivac PI) I have always taken my dog for her boosters annually because I didn't know there could be any problem, and because that's what you're advised to do to keep your dog protected.It's not law here in UK because there's no danger of transmission of any of these diseases to humans (ie Rabies) I always thought I was doing ok for her, but hearing these reactions, and thinking about it, and realizing it could over-stress her immune system, I think maybe I'll ask for the blood tests now.
However, she has never shown any adverse reactions to her shots, or any following health problems. Either she's tough, or the main problem with these bad innoculation reactions might be the rabies shot??
Hi, my Siberian Husky puppy got his second round of booster shots almost 4 days ago. Ever since then, when he poops, he is either extremely constipated or has severe diarrhea. This morning he was playing with his toy and seemed to have a very involuntary poop which resulted in diarrhea being shot all over the floor and his toy. I was just wondering if anybody has experienced this and knows what I should or could do at home since I cannot at the moment afford a vet checkup until my next pay week.
This year in January my dog for the first time ever, had what I certainly do believe to be a bad reaction to her shots. About 48 hours afterwards she developed bad diarrhea, with mucus and blood in it, and also got quite weak on her legs for about 24 hours. She was fine however, and made a full recovery, on the 3rd day.
I knew it was directly related to her booster shots, but the vet didn't think so. But I don't want to risk damaging her further again next January, when her boosters are due.
I am going to ask the vet to run a "Titer Test" and we'll go from there!
My yorkshire terrier almost died at 8 or 12 weeks old I can't remember and was rushed to a 24 hour pet hospital due to bad reaction to shots. He almost didn't make it.  He never did well after any of his other shots and used to have to stay at the veterinarian all day for observatin. When I finally found a holistic veterinarian I realized he was also having reactions to the flea tick POISON given to dogs every year. My dog was so bad he was having epileptic attacks we thought but once we stopped the revolution they stopped. After spending thousands on vet bills. The holistic vet knew right away his immune system had been comprised due to the adverse reaction he had to his shots. He is now 8 years old and although my traditional vet know only vacinates every three years. I refuse to have him vacinated anymore.
Just a few hours ago my 3 year old Siberian Husky got her boardatella shot. Within 1 minute she was staggering around then collapsed to the ground. By the time i got to her she was unresponsive. I thought she was dead. I grabbed her up and rushed her to the truck where my mom drove me to the nearest vet (which is 10 minutes away for me). When i got here there she was doing better. I was able to wake her back up and keep her awake the whole time. She has never had a reaction before. The vet gave her another shot to make her sleep and said she should be back to her normal self in 2 days. I have went to vet tech school so I was the one who gave her the shot. The vet said it was not my fault but it still feels like it was. Im so worried she will not be herself again. Can anyone tell me if she will be ok? Im sick with worrie and feel like crap for giving her the shot.
Hello & welcome....I hope your dog is getting better like your Vet said....We cannot predict what will happen...Just hang on and hope for the best.....There's another link from last month, that also has information on the subject....

Scroll to the bottom of the opening page....You want to go to page 3 of this forum...The post is Titled: "My Dog Died from His Vaccines" By Oscarsmom....It's was started on June 7th......Please read it and good luck...I'm hoping your dog will be much better by tomorrow......Let us know....Karla
earlier this year after getting my 12 yr old husky routine shots her lip swelled up, they tried telling me she must have hit it on something. She didn't hit it on anything that we seen and since she just had shots we watched her for awhile.
I live in Oahu, Hawai'i; have a Chihuahua who is an applehead & about 5.5lbs. He had all his puppy shots as soon as he reached 1.5lbs (at about 2.5 months old)- I had never noticed any allergic reactions early-on.  At about a year old he went to get his 1of2 Rabies-shots (not required in Hawaii the rabies vaccine, however he was flying & needed to to return back home after traveling.  Within 3 days the bridge of his nose swelled up (he looked like an ant-eater) & he had EXCESSIVE diarrhea & then broke out in hives all over his face. I called the vet for a follow-up; they said the DR was booked all week, and if my Chi seemed alright their other Dr had an opening 4 days later. I brought him in after almost a week of non-stop diarrhea (he lost approximately 1lb which roughly equals a human losing 26lbs). The DR said he thought it was a "bug bite". I however, did not believe that. They advised me to give him liquid-childrens-benadryl for the "allergic reaction" and said he would be fine,  For the 2nd shot I convinced the vet to to the FAVN/Titer testing. On a 2.5 scale he was at a whopping 5.5 so we avoided the 2nd shot.  

Most recently at 1 year, he is due for his routine vaccines: Parvo/Distemper/Bordatella. Initially, I thought it was just (1) shot, then at the appt. I found it is was 3. They combines the Parvo/Distemper into 1-syringe (is that Normal??) and the Boardatella was Intra-Nasal (drops into the nose).  When I saw this I'd asked the Vet if maybe we should give my Chi benadryl first or hold off on half; he insisted my dog would be fine. I should have listened to my intuition. It was a Sunday, I had already waited almost an hour to be seen by the vet, after his shot, I even waited in the parking lot for 15minutes watching my dog closely. He layed down to sleep which is unusual for him in the car, but the paper said the shots could make him tired, so I drove home.  By the time we got home (30mins) he began rubbing his nose and sure enough, the bridge of his nose began to swell.  I gave him liquid Benadryl & began calling the Vet. Of course, they were close & did not pick up the phone. I was SO pissed- I'd told the Vet. Within 15 more minutes my dog got hives from head to to & started to swell so bad he began to inflate & look more like a pug, than chihuahua. I couldn't breathe through his nose, and began wheezing.  I raced to an emergency vet who gave him an IV/intravenous of Dymethanzone? to counteract the allergic reaction/Anapilactic-shock. My dog's swelling went down, but was replaced my shaking, twitching, and what appeared hallucinations (he seemed to be looking at stuff that was there), gerking. The Emergency vet explained it was a side-affect of the drug (Dymethazone) he treated the allergic reaction. This Vet #2 said if I'd waited any longer my dog could have easily died since he had such a sever allergic reaction.  It all happened so fast I was relieved to have my furry-angel.  
However, by the next day he began to have SEVERE diarrhea, and then all the pools of blood & blood clots began...(he is only 5.5lbs.) Withing 12 hours he went from 5.5.lbs to 5lbs (equivalent to us at 13lbs). I cried severely that I'd let this happen to him; the Emergency vet said if this blood/diarrhea continued until the next morning to bring my chi back to his Vet in the AM. As I cried for my poor dog literally have pools of blood come out of him when going #2, miraculously, he was in good spirits: drinking water, eating, licking my face, even trying to play. I noticed though, he was incessantly licking each and every tear & I realized he needed electrolytes. I raced out the door (my other half did, actually) and gave him Pedialyte (unflavored) throughout the night.  Give Electrolytes (i.e.Pedialyte is IDEAL, Gatoraide has a lot of sugar, I think) is EXTREMELY important when your dog is losing diarrhea. (Dog should go to vet for I.V. if unable to drink fluids in combination with diarrhea because fluids going out, with no fluids going in can mess up the blood-chemistry. I won't even begin to to get started on the what the blood indicates.  The morning, ASAP, I took him back to the vet. He called it Hemmoratic-Rhinnitis? which basically means by dog hemmoraged (intestinal/stomach) bleeding from and Allergen. Long story short, my dog was given 1.) Antidiarretic, as needed (anti-diarrhea) 2.) Amoxicyn (pink liquid anti-biotic to insure the stomach-bleeding doesn't infect & reach bloodstream 3.) Sucralfate (ulcer med that coats the stomach to try to repair tears in intestines).  So far my dog is doing OK, he is in good spirits. He did throw-up this morning, and I am religiously offering him Pedialyte periodically. When he went #2 is was wholesome & black tarry (old blood) but no fresh-blood-stool! Which means hopefully, no more bleeding.  I will keep you posted, as well as post some important comments from the Vets (not sure how trustworthy) & some observations I've found on my own. * I don't want this posting to discourage people from NOT getting vaccines; but I do want to STRESS how important it is to watch your pet closely, ask MANY questions, specifically the a.) vaccine-brand b.) dosage given c.) Warning-sighns/Watching Pet CLOSELY after injection & staying with your Pate as much as possible the first 24hours after shots, and watching your pet INTENTLY the 3days after, too. IF YOUR PET HAS AN ALLERGIC REACTION TAKE BACK TO VET IMMEDIATELY AFTER, TAKE LOTS OF NOTES, SPLIT THE DOSE, USE YOUR OWN JUDGEMENT *YOUR KNOW YOUR PET, BEST*....I'll keep you posted...
I am so sorry you had to go through this with your dog! Thank goodness all is ok with him now.
It seems to me that vets are still in denial about the common and serious side effects caused by vaccination. It is wise to be educated about all you can do to protect your pet, such as using Benadryl, titer testing, and being aware reactons can and do occur...like you said, staying with your pet and keeping an eye on any sudden changes or unusual symptoms within that 24 hours.
My dog developed diarrhea once about 36-48 hours after vaccination. She really wasn't very well for about 24 hours. I KNEW it was a reaction to the vaccine (she was always totally fit and well at that time) but the vet's office didn't think so! She was fine after that bad day, but still, I ALWAYS ask questions now. And since her kidneys are now weak, I doubt very much if I will allow her to be vaccinated at all in January, when she is due.

Thank you for a very helpful post. But sorry you and your dog suffered so much.
My daughter just called in tears, her dog's head was shaking and he had just had his vaccinations today.  I have been doing research on the internet and apparently there are some states that allow you to get a letter stating that you do not need to have the vaccinations if they jeopardize your dog's or cat's health.  I would check to see if you can forget about getting the shots if it does cause complications.  I have a dog that a few years ago started having seizures.  I'm now wondering if they were brought on my his shots.  I'm going to rethink having him vaccinated and check into getting the letter stating that he does not have to have the shots.  I check for both VA and NY and they have the exemptions.  My dogs are in the house most of the time so I'm really not that concerned with him getting rabies.
It's always wise to ask the vet to run "Titer Testing" for a dog, rather than vaccinating routinely.
I had titer tests done for my dog, as a multi-booster was due (after 3 years) She had immunity present to everything except Canine infectious Hepatitis, and Leptospirosis. She still had Distemper and Parvo immunity!
Although we do not have rabies vaccinations here (UK) It is still worth having Titer tests run, as it is VERY possible rabies immunity would last a while too.

And Titer tests are best definitely if a dog has other health issues like weak kidneys etc, or is aging.
And remember.....NO DOG WHO SHOWS ANY SIGNS OF ILLNESS WHEN VACCINATION IS DUE SHOULD BE VACCINATED UNTIL FULLY RECOVERED!
Routine (Yearly) Vaccines should be a thing of the past......All 27 Veterinary Teaching Schools across the U.S. recommend every 3 years, now......

Most Vet practices continue with yearly vaccines because this is the largest percent of their income......However, this would be at the expense of their clients animals.....Do you realize that your tiny Chi is receiving the same dose as the German Shepherd that lives next door? Know why? Because it's cheaper to buy a whole same dose set of vaccines as opposed to singles.....

Exemptions are available in every state, but the Vet MUST recognize the symptoms as being a vaccine reaction.....In most cases, they do not agree....Then you have a problem.....

As with Ginger, my dogs all have "Titers" run.....All three dogs still have high immunities even after 5 years.....Needless to say, I therefore do not allow any more.....My oldest (10 years) was just vaccinated only for rabies because it had been 5 years....He (Her Vet) chose to only give her 1/2 the dose because of her size (Poodle Mix).....This is the kind of doctor you want to have treating your pets!

Understand, you DO need those YEARLY exams.....Just NOT the vaccines that go with them!

A Holistic Vet will have an antidote for vaccine reactions......A regular Vet WILL NOT!    Take care, Karla
My Boston Terrier is doing the same thing.   Out of nowhere, she started having these symptoms.  The vet was treating her for an infection but now her head is swollen twice the size of her body and her cheeks look like she has walnuts in them.   I'm making myself sick here.
Sounds like your Boston is having an allergic reaction to something.
Has your vet suggested Benedryl...?
Connie
My standard poodle was given all of her series of shots at once and she almost died from the adverse reation. On another occasion I took her for a grooming to a new vet and without asking me they gave her a complete series of shots and almost killed her again.When I went to pick her up, I figured out what the long delay was about in holding me up for her pickup, they were trying to save her from the reaction. They still presented me with a bill of 189.00
My Standard Poodle had a hematoma on her ear flap. The vet wanted 300.00 to drain it. Because of my poodles sensitivity to drugs I choose to see if the hematoma would absorb into her body on its own. It did absorb leaving her ear perfectly normal. The vet told me if I didn't have it drained her ear would be deformed and it would have the appearance of a cauliflower ear. Ice was administered to her ear on first noticing the hematoma and then her ear was immerced in very warm water several times on the inset. Her ear healed perfectly in a short time, leaving no deformaty.
This is a pretty old thread.  Have to watch the dates on postings.  Confusing