Dogs Community
HELP - My puppy pees everywhere

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

HELP - My puppy pees everywhere

we have a 6 month old rottie/german shepherd mix.  He is a well-behaved dog who is crate trained and listens to commands very well.  we love him to death but he won't stop peeing EVERYWHERE all the time.  He has a dog run and he goes out there - he comes in he pees, we take him for a walk - we come in he pees, we walk into a room he pees, we let him have limited run in the house, but we have to basically follow him around because he pees anywhere.  when you go by him to pet him he pees on your shoes, your pants, your feet!!  even if he is sitting he will pee as he is stiting there and it will run into him.  I cannot figure it out.  He does not pee in his crate, but sometimes when he gets excited it will squirt out a bit.  It is like he never runs out of pee!!!!  unfortunately, it has come down to us having to keep him strapped to a door in the kitchen to avoid him peeing on everywhere.  we want him to be able to sit with us in our family room, but every time we have let him in he pees. my kids don't even like to go and pet him anymore.  I feel sooo bad for him because he is such a good boy, but I cannot allow my house to become a wee wee pad.

please can anyone help us.

"pissed" in Jersey
we have the same problem with our dog i think it is the rottie because she is a rottie/lab mix trust me i feel your pain i hate letting my daughter play on the floor because of it i am afraid i might miss one if you get any advice please let me know i will do the same
I know some folks believe in the "domination" theory - that the dog is going everywhere but in his crate so he can show you he is the boss.  I don't really believe that theory but maybe it's possible.

Some dogs also do this for spite but usually if they are left alone.

Maybe you should try taking him to the vet.  We had a rottie/shepherd and she would never go in the house (our Akita wouldn't tolerate it).

Sounds like something is bothering him.  Some dogs do it out of anxiety but I'd take him to the vet or maybe a good obedience school.  Rottie/shepherds are really intelligent dogs.  If there is nothing wrong with him, he should accept being "housebroken".

My dog did this, we watched him constantly + grabbed him and ran with him everytime he squatted, saying no firmly.

The day he turned 8 months he stopped, now he is not stupid, but it took that long.

literally from one day to the next, and i had tried everything.  He just 'got it' late.
Also consider that he might just be overly submissive.   You mentioned that he pees when you walk by to pet him...this is a sign of submission to you.

Although it is unlikely, you might consider taking him or a sample of his urine to the veterinarian just to make sure you aren't dealing with a medical issue instead of a behavioral one.

Talk with your veterinarian about things you can do to help him "hold it" and make sure you are using a good pet stain and odor remover to clean up his accidents.

Tomcat