Dogs Community
HELP!! MY PUPPY FELL ON ITS HEAD

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

HELP!! MY PUPPY FELL ON ITS HEAD

MY 8 WEEK PUP [MALTESE]  TOBY FELL OWT OV MY ARMZ
HE FELL STR8 ON HIS HEAD ON A WOODEN DECK AND HE WOS SCREAMING LIKE HECK
HE WENT INSIDE ND NOW HEZ SLEEPING WELL TRYING 2
WOT DO I DO I NEED HELP APART FROM GOIN 2 A VET MY MUM SAYS WE HAVE 2 WAIT ND C
WAT HAPPENS BUT I DNT WANT 2 HE CULD B BRAIN DAMAGE HE SEEMZ 2 C THINGS ND HEAR THINGS
ND HE CAN WALK ND DRINK PLEASE HELP MEH WAT KOULD B THA POSIBLE DAMAGE I TOUCH HIS HEAD HE DUSNT YELP OR NE THING HES JUST TIERD MAN  I HOPE HES ALRIGHT I KNO HE KOULD NOT B BRAIN DAMAGE JUST CONCIOUS WELL I DNT KNO!!
You better get him to the vet and have him checked out.
If you are a child, I know that this is out of your control, however you need to make your parents aware that if this puppy is seriously injured, there can be serious consequences for them if he is not taken to the vet.  It is considered a crime to know that an animal is injured and refuse it veterinary treatment.  Please convince them that it is NECESSARY for this puppy to be seen by a vet.  Even if they bought the dog for you, as the adults in the family, they are the ones who are responsible for its veterinary care and well-being.  To ignore that when the puppy could be seriously injured is negligence.  Stay on them.  Keep bugging them.  The puppy needs to see a vet.

Ghilly
It is so good that you care like you obviously do for this little puppy. You have so much common sense and good instincts. This pup needs the vet! And you know that. Do what Ghilly says, bug your parents NOW!! The quicker he is seen and given medical help the better. Good luck. Let us know what happens, hey?
WELL WE ARE HEZ IZ GOIN 2 GET HYZ INJECTION ND WE WILL GET HYM CHECKED ND MY PARENTZ R RESBONSIBLE BUT DEY SAID DEY WILL
Let us know what the vet says............
AIGGHT I WILL ATLEAST HEZ AIGGHT HEZ PLAYIN ND DAT I DNT FINK HEZ BRAIN DAMAGE BUT HE IZ INGNORANT HEZ NOT LISTENIN WEN WE KALL HYZ NAMEI HOP DATZ GOT NUTHIN 2 DU WID HYM HURTING HYMSELF
If he usually does listen, or look up at you, or come, when you call his name, and suddenly he isn't doing that, it means that SOMETHING is definitely wrong. He might only have had a concussion, but even that is serious.
Hey listen, don't try and guess what it might be, or guess (if he looks a little better) that he might be ok now. DON'T GUESS, take him to be checked out. Guessing just wastes time. And just in case (?) your parents don't agree, perhaps you could show them the answers you've received on our forum? People here all know quite a bit about dogs, some may even be veterinary nurses, or have learned a lot from having dogs of their own. And it's better to be safe than sorry.
WELL HEZ ALWAYZ NEVA LISTEN IF HE HEARZ HYZ NAME'TOBY'
YEA MY PARENTZ ALREADY READ DIS ND DEY SAID DIS IZ TRU ND DEY R
GOIN 2 TAKE HIM EVEN THO HE LUKZ GUD
DEY R RESPOSIBLE OWNERZ
ND YES DEY DU AGREE OV COURSE DEY DU!!
WE ARNT ABUSERZ OR NUTHIN
BUT NE WAYZ UR COMMENT HAZ KINDA GAVE UZ SUM HELP WEVE NEVA HAD DIS KINDA STUFF HAPPEN 2 OW UTHA DOGZ SOE DIS IZ ALL NEW
Thanks for the update and keep letting us know how he is........sara
If he looks good then that's a good sign. Sorry if it sounded like I was over reacting a bit, Airjordan. It's hard to completely see peoples' situations at a distance. That pup of yours is lucky because he has owners who care a lot about him.
Accidents do happen, and pups often get stuff happen to them. Even when we're good owners and love our dog more than anything. Many years ago when I had a young pup, he fell out of an upstairs window!! He was fine in the end, but it FREAKED ME OUT!!
Let us know what happens. Wish you well.
It is very nice to see pet owners who are responsible and care about their pets.      sara
ND YEA I KNO ITZ ALGUDZ I WULD OVERREACTED AZWELL IF SUMONE ELSE HAD SUMFIN 2 DU WID DIS ....JESUS OWT OV A UPSTAIRZ WINDOW MAN I WULD FREAKED OWT 2 I WULD B CRYIN
ND FANKZ  FOA ALL DA COMMENTZ GUYZ I WILL KEEP U GUYZ UPDATED
ND YES I LUV ANIMALZ
ND DU U GUYZ AVE N E TIPZ OV HOW 2 MAKE HYM STOP BITING I TRIED YELPIN ND ERRYFIN BUT HE WNT STOP??? NE HEL DEA
LOL,,,

He was yelping like crazy because he was scared.  First time he ever got hurt.  Before that he didn't know he could get hurt.  Certainly, a scary thing.  I had a puppy who fell down the steps.  Yelped and yelped and yelped.  I thought he was dying.  He was fine,,, just scared.   Good luck...
WOW...ITZ AWFUL KAUZE WEN DEY YELP ND YELP YA FINK DEA GONNA DIE OR SUMMIN ND DEY HURT DEM SELF REALLI REALLI BAD
......
MY PUPZ FINE WE WNT 2 DA VET ND DA VET SAID HEZ FINE NUTHIN WRONG WID HYM

How to stop your puppy biting? Maybe he came away from his brothers and sisters a little early (??) Young dogs usually learn their 'play limits' among their siblings, and with their mothers. It's natural for litle pups to bite things, and people. They are learning their way around the world, (and remember, to a dog, his mouth is the way he feels and experiences and contacts objects, family or whatever, like hands are for us) but not so nice if they don't know when to stop. Usually if a puppy playing bites another puppy too hard, the other puppy goes 'ai! ai! ai!',  or the mother might nip him, and the pup learns his limits, by experience as he grows up.
However if he doesn't get any feedback as he's going through this 'biting-to-experience- the-world' phase, he'll just carry on doing it, and as he gets bigger it could become a problem.
With my pup (the one I told you about before) I used to make a sharp yelping noise, just like I was another dog, when he bit me, and if he had bitten my hand I used to snatch it away suddenly, so he could see a connection between events. That might have made a difference, because he used to stop and back off. So he did learn how to not bite me too hard.
P.S. really GOOD NEWS about your pup! Excellent.
WELL I KNO HE PLAY BITEZ BUT SUMTIMES HE BITES CAUSE HE GET RESTLESS
ND ANGRY WE DO EVERYTING WE IGNORE HIM ND WE YELP ND WE GIVE HIM A TOY B4 HE BITES US BUT HE DUSNT KARE BOUT HIS TOY HE JUST WANT 2 BITE US HE DUSNT UNDERSTAND BUT WE DO HAV ANUTHA DOG WICH IS A 9 YR OLD PAPILLON ND SHE PLAYS CHASE WID HYM BUT HE SCARED DAT Y HES RUNNING AWAY I FINK HE BITEZ US LOTS KAUSE HE DUSNT HAV HIZ  LIL BROS ND SIS 2 PLAY WID I UNDERSTAND BUT YEA HE PUTZ EVERYTHIN IN HYS MOUTH
................ WERE WORRIED HE WILL BITE US WEN HES OLDER
MAN HES REALLI GUD FINE WERE REALLI HAPPY  BUT HE GOT HYS  1'S OA 2  VACCINATION ND HES YELPIN ND YELPIN HES REALLI SORE POOR PUP
ALL OV OUR DOGS WEVE HAD HAS NEVA YELPED LIKE DAT WEN DEY WERE PUPS SOE HE MUST B REALLI SORE

Did you mean he yelped WHEN he got his vaccinations? That would be normal, because he'd be scared about having a needle ***** at the vet's.
If you mean after he came home, look at where he was vaccinated (probably the back of his neck somewhere) and if it's swollen or red there, take him back to be checked out in case he had an allergic reaction or something.
Puppies like to bite. They do it a lot, they put anything into their mouth, gnaw on stuff they shouldn't, they get their teeth into everything. You will have to watch very carefully that he doesn't get hold of something he should NOT EAT! and which might get stuck in his stomach. Having a pup, unfortunately, means you have to move anything he shouldn't get at well out of the way of him, and check his toys too, to make sure he can't swallow any parts, cloth, plastic,etc. Keep any medicines, like aspirins etc out of his way, high up where he can't reach, any food like chocolates.....the list is endless!!
Oh boy! Your work is surely hard! It is like having a little kid around! He is going to have to get used to obeying your orders. Have you thought of taking him to puppy training class? It would get him used to learning some rules, and learning how to do as he's told. For his own safety, he will have to begin to relate to one member of your family as his Leader.
Just be really calm and gentle with him and then he will be really calm and gentle.

With my lovely six month old, for biting, I just pushed her head away and said no biting (a bit firmly)

My dogs always needs dog chews, she is very happy and good but always chewing :-))

Enjoy your puppy, you are a good dog carer!
GINGER899-YEP HE YELPED WHEN HE GOT HIS VACCINATIONS AND AFTER FOR ABOUT 2 DAYS THA VET MIGHT OV GOT A NERVE OR SUMMIN....
YEA WE ALWAYS MAKE SURE WERE OUTSIDE WIF HIM HE HAZ ALREADY GAWT A HOLD OV ROTTEN PLUM DAT WE HAVNT PIKED UP YET...HE ALSO WANTS 2 EAT OUR FOOD WEN WE HA VOUR DINNER HE WALKS RIGHT AWAY FRM HIS....HE SITS THEA ND MAKES A LITTLE CRY NOISE DEN HE GET LOUDER
WE IGNORE HIM HES STARTING 2 LEARN DAT LITTLE NOISE DUZNT CONVINCE US 2 GFIVE HIM SUM OV OUR FOOD BUT WE GIVE HIM SUM GREENS LIKE SALAD ND STUFF IF HE DUZNT EAT HIS OWNN FOOD WE DONT WANT HIM 2 HAVE NUTHIN..THA NLY FOODS WE DNT GIVE HIM IZ SUMMIN WID FAT ND CHOCOLATE  WELL THEA IZ NO DOG TRAINY KLASSES N E WEA SOE
HE HE IZ A GUD DOG HE JUST HAS 2 LEARN SIT,NO,WALK,GOE 2 THA PARK,RIDE IN THA CAR,TREATS,DINNER IT GOEZ ON ..HE KNOS ''AHH'' ND HE STOPS ND LISTENS.....
THERESE83-GINGER899
HE BITES KAUSE HES PLAYIN NOT KAUSE HES ANGRY ND HATES US
BUT IF WE TURN OUR BACKS ON HIM HE ENDS UP BITING OUR TOPS ND HE GET OUR SKIN ASWELL ND IT HURTS WE KEEP OUR KOOL ND SAE AHH NO
WID A FIRM VOICE WE GIVE HIM HIS CHEWY TOYS BUT HE JUST GOES FOR OUR HANDS AGEN I FINK HE LIKES OUR HANDS MORE DEN HIS TOYS
........BTW IS DIS NORMAL DOG BEHAVIOUR DEY WURR BOTHH SLEEPIN IN MA ROOM ONE NIGHT ND DEY WUR SATRIN AT THA WALL ND BARKIN AT SUMMIN
ND WEN I TAKE DEM OWT 2 THA TOILET AT NIGHT WEN ITZDARK DEY RUN AROUND OUTSIDE CHASIN SUMMIN ND BARKIN ND GROWLIN
????? WAT IS DIS KINDA BEHAVIOUR MY 9 YR OLD PAPILLON ALSO DUN DIS A LONG TIME AGO WEN SHE WOZ IN MA ROOM SHE WOS GOIN BEZERK?????

Your puppy sounds like he is doing everything normal puppies do. They like to chew on people because they want your attention and want you to play.  Puppies , like human babies will eventually lose their baby teeth and grow adult teeth, so they will chew everything to loosen those baby teeth. Sounds like your puppy likes to run around crazy, and thats normal too. Enjoy the puppies silly behavior, play with him a lot and work with him, teaching him to listen to you, but don't teach him with spankings and stuff, just be firm with him. I think you're doing a great job with your pup. And he's soooo cute!!!!
Like flmagi said, pups are so full of energy, and are running around barking and growling at scents they pick up in the garden. (Night time is an interesting time in the garden, lots of little creatures come and go!) and probably shadows on the wall of your room, because they are curious about the world, and energetic.This all sounds normal.

Your 9 year old Papillon behaving the same way in your room at night... now that's a bit different. I wonder if there are any electronic high-frequency sounds, maybe from technical equipment you use, which she can hear, but you can't?? Maybe to switch all power to equipment off when you sleep at night might make a difference? I don't know for sure. This is only a suggestion.
FLMAGI-THANKS I DIDDNT KNO PUPPIES BITE U TO GET YOU ATTENTION
NO WE NEVER HIT HIM WE SAY NO OR AHH AND THANKZ HES WELL CUTE

GINGER899
BUT THEY DONT BARK AT THE GROUND THEY LOOK UP AND BARK
WE DO HAVE EVERYTHING TURNED OFF I DONT GET IT SHE ACTED LIKE SOMEONE WAS IN THEA
Gosh! I don't know! Unless you have a frequent intruder on your land, all I can think of is high-level night time birds or squirrels in trees?....in your room...ghosts?? Well, probably not, Dogs are incredibly inventive and intelligent. If they need fun/exercise/action of some kind, they are quite capable of inventing something to make some excitement and run around a bit. I had a dog once that used to chase the Moon  (never caught it though) And he used to invent imaginary bark-worthy things to entertain himself, and make a reaction from me! It seemed to amuse him to do this!
I might be wrong, but I don't think this is a health problem with your dogs, unless they might be getting hyper-active from additives in their food. (I suppose you could test that by finding an additive/preservative-free dog food, and trying them with it for a week or two, then if their behavior changes, you'd know it was the food causing hyper-activity.)

But most likely all this doggy drama is a way of burning off extra energy, and having a bit of canine fun. If they all did lots of exercise in the day, it might settle them down a bit at night, so they'd be ready to sleep?? Just a thought...
HA A PHYSIC 2 YEARS AGO TOLD US THEA IS A GHOST A FAMILY MEMBER OF OURS IT MIGHT BE MY GRANDAD CUMING IN TO CHECK ON ME AND MAYBE ONE NIGHT HE IDDNT REALISE MY DOG WAS IN THEA
HAHA DID U SAY CHASE THE MOON MAN MAYBE THESE MORE HUMAN THINGS MAY B ALOT MORE INTERESTING 2 DEM THAN 2 US HUMANS
BUT MY DOGS DONT BARK CAUSE THEY WANT 2 ENTERTAIN DEM SLEVES THEY BARK ANGRY OUTSIDE AND INSIDE MAYB IT COULD B MY DEAD KITTEN DAT GOT RUN OVER BY AN ACCIDENT MIGHT OV BEEN DEAF??...
WELL MY OLDER DOG DUSNT EAT MUCH AND SHE ACTS WEIRD WHEN SHE GOES OUTSIDE NEAR THE GARDEN WHERE WE BURIED OUR KITTEN
I'M SURE ITS GHOSTS IVE BEEN WATCHING YOUTUBE VIDEOS OF DOGS BARKING AT RANDOM THINGS WE CANT SEE
BUT THEY CAN HEAR AND SMELL THINGS WE CANT SEE
BUT WHEN I WAS YOUNG B BABY I WENT 2 A GRAVEYARD
AND I SCREAMED DA WHOLE WAY
THEY SAE BABYS AND DOGS CAN SEE
GHOSTS
BUT I MEAN I'M NOT SCARED
Y WOULD I BE SCARED OF A PASSED AWAY FAMILY MEMBER
ATLEAST THERE TRYNA PROTECT US AND TELLIN US SOMEONES HERE WE CANT C
.........

I MENT MAYBE THESE ANIMALS MAY FIND HUMAN THINGS ALOT MORE INTERESTING THAN US HUMANS LOL
CHASING THE MOON HA PRITTY CUTE THO
Hey there...poor puppy, just like 'babies' they are, and just as loveable.  Found out yesterday I'm Stage 2 Grade 3, and the doc says I don't need to start treating until next year, when the new med is supposed to be approved for the 'cocktail', and he feels it would be better to start with 'more ammo'.

I'm at about 70 pages into my book, it is my 'freedom', ya know?  Anyway, not much else new for me, except now I have time to lose some LB's beforehand, every little thing I can do to help, ya know?  And...puppies do bite for attention.  Take care. Hugs

To Peach803: Hi Peach! Hope you're ok. I'll post you a note, and we'll have a chat.

To Airjordan123: Yeah, it is quite well known that animals are more sensitive to mysterious things than humans. It is said they can see spirits. I'm sure if it's your grandad coming back to see you all, they would be the first to know.
This is interesting. I know it's not exactly evidence, but a strange thing happened with my other dog just before he died (when he was quite old) About 2 days before he died, he suddenly got off his bed, and was staring at something in the room, following this invisible thing with his eyes. He wagged his tail, and behaved just like he had seen someone he knew and liked. This all lasted for about 10 minutes, then he was back to normal. He was ignoring me absolutely when I spoke to him. He seemed very happy to see this invisible (presence??) It made me wonder who or what he was seeing, (some people would say it was just hallucinations) but it made me wonder if there is indeed a spirit-world for dogs when they die, and some unseen Beings were preparing for him to come to them.(?) After he died I had many dreams that he was fit and well, and running happily in a grassy place, chasing other dogs, and having fun! In those dreams he would come and greet me, but would always run off again because he was having such a good time. These things made me feel less sad.
MUST B NEW 2MY QUESTIONS BUT I NEVA THORT DOGS WOULD DO THAT
BUT EVEN THO YOUVE GIVEN THEM ATTENTION HOW COME THEY STILL BITE THEN??

ginger899

OV COURSE BUT I DONT THINK MY DOG KNOWS HIM VERY WELL SO SHE MIGHT THINK THAT HES TRESSPASSING
THATS  WEIRD 2 DAYS BEFORE YOUR DOG DIED HE HAS SUDDENLY
SEEN THIS PERSON
SERIOUSLY HOW COULD YOU NOT FEEL SAD THINKING ABOUT YOUR DOG
EVEN THO ITS HAPPY I STILL WOULD BE SAD
BUT I WONDER IF THEY KNO THEY ARE DEAD AND THEY KNO WHEN THEY DIE THEY CAN STILL RUN AROUND
AND I WONDER IF THEY GREET US THEY MIGHT REALISE WE CANT SEE THEM
MY OLDER DOGS GOTTA ALOTA YEARS 2 GO AND SHES ONLY 9 AND SHE STARTING 2 GET REALLI OLD AND GREY AND MORE RELAXED ONLY AT 9
I HOPE WHEN BOTH OF MY DOGS PASS AWAY THEY WILL COME AND SEE ME
EVEN THO I CANT SEE THEM
..................
I HATE GOING 2 SCHOOL LEAVING MY POOR PUPPY TOBY BEHIND
HE FOLLOWS ME OUT THA GATE
AS SOON AS I SHUT THA GATE AND GOE DOWN THA DRIVEWAY HE STARTS
2 YELP AND BARK AND CRY
WEN I LEAVE... HE LIKES 2 BE AROUND ME MOSTLY ME.. AND MY FAMILY BUT SINCE MY MUM
DOES LOTS OF HOUSWORK AND MY OLDER DOG SIMPLY IGNORES HIM AND DUSNT WANT 2 KNO HIM
HE MUST FEEL BORED AS SOON AS I WALK THRU THA DOOR ITS LIKE SEEING
A DOG DATS SIMPLY HYPO
HE BRINGS THE BALL TO ME AS SOON AS I GET HOME
I THINK HES STARTING 2 STOP BITING AS HARD
I THINK HES TEACHING HIM SELF THAT BITING IS NOT NICE
HE USED 2 BITE U WEN HE FIRST SEES U BUT NOW HE JUST LICK ALOT MORE
AND WHAT BREED WAS YOUR DOG??
Guess what? My dog was called TOBY! He was a white Jack Russell, with long legs. (so a bit unusual as most Jack Russells have short legs) He was a well cute dog.
I was very very sad when he died, of course. I don't have absolute proof of life after death, for dogs, or anyone, or that when he died he did go to a place like in my dreams, but those dreams were happy, and comforted me, and I would like to think that it was so.

Anyway, back to YOUR Toby!
It sounds like he has made such a strong bond with you, and that is great. But when you go to school in the mornings he is upset. That's called 'separation anxiety'. That can sometimes lead to emotional insecurity later in life, so it might need you to do some work with him. Now, I am not really sure what you must do to help fix this, as I'm not really brilliant at dog behaviour. (The dog I have now doesn't have many problems, so I haven't had to study these things)
Try and get hold of JAYBAY (on this forum) She knows an awful lot about how to work with behaviour issues in dogs. I am sure she would not mind if you send her a message, asking her about this. I think she will be able to advise you.
Take care.....and lots of good wishes for you and Toby!
HAHAHA
MAN TOBY MUST BE A POPULAR DOG NAME
WEVE MEET 5 MALTESE DOG THAT R CALLED TOBY
ARE U SURE IT WASNT MIXED OR ANYTHING
WELL YOUR LUCKY YOU DONT CRY WHENEVER U THINK ABOUT IT
....
ALRIGHT I WILL JAYBAY...OR I WILL JUST LOOK ON YAHOO HOPE HE DUSNT GET THAT...
HE DUSNT REALLI CRY WEN OTHERS GO ITZ JUST MEH
BUT ITS WEIRD WENEVER WE GO OUTSIDE HE WANTS 2 GO ON THE TRAMP WE HAV A NET ONE HE LUVZ THA TRAMP WE DONT BOUNCE OR ANYTHING
HEZ QUITE A CHARACTER OUR TOBY
THANKZ ANYWAY
THANKS ANYWAY
today my puppy mico fell from my sisters arm.It looks someone punch him i asked my mom to take him to the vet.My mom said no.then she said put a icepack on him.He started to cried.What do i do.
Hi Zuki,
It's so good that you care so much for your pup, and feel responsible for him. I guess your mom is trying to treat him at home because she is worried how much it might cost at the vet's? Or maybe because she feels he isn't badly hurt, and he'll be better tomorrow?
Icepacks are a good idea for swelling and bruising, but I think you are being very careful here, and would rather the vet took a look at him. How old is your pup? Is he very young? When you say "It looks like someone punched him"...do you mean he is acting scared, or he has blood on him, or swollen head or eyes?  If he has obvious injuries or bleeding, he DOES need to see the vet quite quickly, just at least to be checked over.
It may be nothing much to worry about, and for the vet to take a look -check him over, would not cost very much. It would only be the cost of a consultation. But of course if he needs treatment it will cost more.
Can you ask your mom again about taking him to see the vet, if he is no better by now?

If he gets no better, and your mom still doesn't want to take him to the vet, is there anyone else you can ask to help you? Like an aunt, uncle, grandma...?

Anyway, I really hope he will be better soon.
A dictionary and some English classes would help too, in everyday life especially.
Are you sure you didn't land on your head? The public schools are slacking if they think this kid is getting a good education.
Folks, a couple of things here.  First of all, the post you are replying to is over a year old, and the post that started this thread is a couple of years old.  None of these posters have been back here to post so, in all likelihood, they will not see your responses to them.  

Secondly, the aim here is not to insult anyone by belittling their writing.  Not everyone has been fortunate enough to have had a wonderful education and sometimes it's a child you're replying to, so save the insults for another forum.  It won't help the pets a bit to insult and possibly alienate their owners.  

Thanks and have a great day!

Ghilly
Well said Ghilly