Hello. My boxer stuck her arm through a window when she was 2 1/2, She had seven surgeries to repair tendons and has a limp when she has played a bit too hard. Well, I have been giving her Motrin off and on since it happened. Not regularly, but when I could tell she was in pain, I would. I just learned on another Medhelp forum that you should never give dogs ibuprofen because they cannot digest it well. Do you think I've hurt her? I quit giving it to her last year, because I had run out. I'd say in 4 years Ive probably only given her 2 or 3 months of regular use. thank you.
Ouch! Not good. I honestly can't remember what organ metabolizes ibuprofen - either liver or kidneys - but you're right, it can do irreparable harm. Is she showing any odd symptoms like vomiting or just generally depressed and "off"? If you haven't seen a vet about this, I strongly urge you to do so. Even some basic labs to check liver and kidney function should tell you if those organs were damaged, and it's not that expensive.
This is a great question to post to one of the vets on the expert forum here at Med Help. They should be able to explain exactly what happens to dogs who have been given ibuprofen and what to ask your vet to look for.
Please post back and let us know what you discover, and thank you for posting. It took great courage to publicly ask if your own actions may have caused a problem, so major kudos to you! You may have just saved the lives of countless dogs by posting. So many people simply don't realize that our pets can't take many of the same meds that humans can, and now they do. :-)
When my dog hurt himself and had to be rushed to the vet for emergency surgery it cost me $1200.00. i asked if i can give my dog tylenol, they said No, do not give any dogs or cats any tylenol, asprin, or ibuprofen because it can be fatal towards any dog or cat. if your dog is in pain ask your vet for some pain relievers, that will be your safest bet do not give your pet any over the counter drugs that we use to make ourselves better, because it is not save for our pets
Thank yall so much for posting back! I was unable to get on here for over a week, so I couldnt check this forum. I really appreciate it!! I haven't been able to get her to a vet yet, but will do so very soon. She is a very happy dog, plays as much as she can, her tail never stops wagging (short little cut off thing!!-you know boxers) and she shows no signs of problems internally..but I did worry that I had messed her up. I will take her to the vet to check though, because Im just not sure if I gave her too much or not. It is good to know that dogs cannot take anything we as humans do for pain. My mother in law groomed and reared dogs of all types for over 40 years, gave shots, everything a vet would do except surgery (she is not a vet), and I asked her if my dog could take the ibuprofen, she didnt think it would hurt, but as I said, she is not a vet, so she just probably didn't know like me that it may hurt her. Adrienne, I know how you feel, my dogs surgeries totalled over 1500 dollars, but I didnt care. This dog is my joy in life, just as yalls are to you I am sure :)
Jaybay, thank you for posting too. I didnt want anyone to know that I may have hurt my dog :( but I didnt realize that I may have hurt her myself and if that is the case, I just want to know if I can fix it :) They need their yearly rabies shots, so I will be taking them very soon to get that, and will get her tested. I will post back after that
Thank yall again for posting, I really appreciate it.
I love this forum :)
When you take your baby in for her shots,Just ask your vet to check her kidney and liver function with some lab work.You can use Ascriptin for pain and as a anit iflammatory.It is coated aspirin.It is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream and within an hour it starts working for pain and when used as an anti inflammatory it takes longer to work.It is coated so it doesnt upset the stomache also it last for up to 12 hours at a time.It works like Rimadyl and Ectogesic.I use it on my Pyrenees and i use Rimadyl on my smaller babies.My vet told me to try it and it has always worked.Also you could see if your vet would give you some meds to keep at home.Well Good luck and keep us posted.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.