Dogs Community
Heart Murmur/ Fluid Around Heart

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Heart Murmur/ Fluid Around Heart

My 4 and 1/2 year old Black Lab/Chow mix was diagnosed with a significant heart murmur as a puppy. My mom took her to the vet after noticing her coughing. The vet said that she had fluid around the heart and placed her on Lasix and also said she'd be lucky to make to Christmas. I wondering if there are any other treatments available that might help?

Your poor dog appears to be in congestive heart failure.  Other than lasix, I am not familiar enough with this condition to make a decent comment.  I suggest you post your question to Dr. Cheng and/or Dr. Sims on the Ask a Vet forum here at Med Help.  They can at least give you professional guidance.
If you are interested in tips for caring for a dog with Congestive Heart Disease I have done a lot of research. Maybe I can help? :) My 13 yr old chi has chd as well, and he was given 6-8 months to live. That was 17 months ago :) The vet may tell you there isn't much you can do to improve the situation but this simply isn't true.
Btw, my dog has also had a murmur his whole life.
I had a chihuhahua that had a heart murmur for 10 years died at the age of 17 due to old age and other problems not heart.
That's great!  Can you tell us what you've done with your dog to keep him going?

My Chia was diagnosed with a grade 3 murmur. He gave him enalapril 2.5 mg for life! Gave him small dose of tramatol. He coughs a few times, nothing serious. My life is dependant on his health. He's just nine. I am truly scared!
My Chia was diagnosed with a grade 3 murmur. He gave him enalapril 2.5 mg for life! Gave him small dose of tramatol. He coughs a few times, nothing serious. My life is dependant on his health. He's just nine. I am truly scared! He's also 14 lbs. Should be 10 lbs.
Hi Amanda  -  My dog is suffering at the moment - heart with water in lungs
Vet gave him injection this morning - it helped, but is now getting very bad again - is ther anything I can do to help him through the night?