Dogs Community
Help: 11 year old dog - stomach problems. diarrhea, mucus, blood in it....

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Help: 11 year old dog - stomach problems. diarrhea, mucus, blood in it.

All of a sudden my 11 yr old dog started having diarrhea with a little red blood and some mucus in it. So, I took her to the vet and she was dewormed and given some Antibiotics - She also had some doggy hemorrhoids popped while she was there. Ouch

I had found a recipe online for some home-made dog food which I fixed for her to help ease her stomach:

Hamburger which was rinsed in hot water so there is no fat/oils in it..., with peas, carrots, oatmeal and pumpkin...

After a couple days of eating that she was doing very well.

A few days ago I started adding some dry dog food to her home-made food and she started getting that

Nasty Diarrhea Again and I noticed she is eating grass.

She has NOT thrown up - not once.

So for the past 2 days I went back to the home made dog food / No dry food and now she seems to be doing better again.

- Is it possible that she has stomach problems with dry dog food now?

- Has anyone else had this problem out there that would be willing to share the advice their vet gave them?

- Any suggestions on what it might be?

She plays same as always, She eats and drinks just fine, I dont see any other problems with her...

she is sleeping more but I assume thats because she is 11 years old :-) and I think this past winter was first signs of some arthritis but other than that she seems just fine.

I cannot take her back to the vet for at least 4 more weeks (I just dont have enough money) So any info you folks could give would be greatly appreciated - Of course if this gets out of hand I will do what I can to take her back to the vet but she WAS just there about 4 weeks ago.

Thanks!!
Tags: Dogs, diarrhea, mucus, dry dog food, stomach problems
The dry dog food could be the culptit....My advice woulkd be gert her off of it completely....I raw feed my Bella Mia (3yr old female bullmastiff) If you want more info PM me. I'll be happy to provide it to you.

"I had found a recipe online for some home-made dog food which I fixed for her to help ease her stomach:

Hamburger which was rinsed in hot water so there is no fat/oils in it..., with peas, carrots, oatmeal and pumpkin... "

The hamburger is an ok start however, in over 99% of cases, dogs and cats should be fed whole meaty bones/carcasses. Ground bones are a poor substitute to whole bones. In addition, consuming such does not give the dogs the important muscle work out they need. Dogs do not have the digestive system to cope with grains. Most commercial dog foods contain more than 50% grains. Grains are one of the biggest sources of allergies in dogs....
sorry about the typo, I meant *culprit*...lol
Yes, it's very possible that her food is causing it......As dogs age, their digestion process slows down......The harder the digestive system has to work, the less energy left for the body to heal......If she has eaten the same dry food forever, then she needs a change......Dogs should not have to live on dry food alone.....It is not how nature intended them to eat!  What does she eat? And treats? How long has she eaten it?

You CAN continue forever with her homecooked meals as long as you add a few important supplements.....A month or so without won't make any difference, but she will need (Most importantly, A calcium source) & a multivitamin after that.......

I would also add digestive enzymes & a good probiotic for even better digestive health......There are some good recipes for homecooked food at  B-Naturals.com.......If you choose to supplement with some raw, then you don't need the enzymes.......Only with cooked or processed foods..........Take care, Karla

"If you choose to supplement with some raw, then you don't need the enzymes.......Only with cooked or processed foods"

EXCELLENT point!
This is just an idea... My little Sadie, I came home one day from work and there was bloody diarrhea (sorry for the TMI) everywhere.  I rushed her to the vet and they did blood work, she had a parasite in her intestines.  I felt SO bad for her.  She never showed any signs leading up to this day, I "thought" she was fine, until I came home and seen all of this.  Anyways, it's just an idea.  I hope your dog gets better soon and you figure out what's going on.  Take care :).