Dogs Community
Help 4 Bailey - Elevated Liver Enzymes

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Help 4 Bailey - Elevated Liver Enzymes

I am writing to ask for some support for our little guy Bailey. He has been sick for three weeks now. It started with Bailey refusing his food (I then changed the flavor and still no luck. I called Nature's Balance to ask where the food is made (Kansas) and in addition, typed in the bar code to see when it was made and tested. Bailey then started to show increase thirst and he increased his water consumption. He just recently started to have tremors in his back legs. He started to eat but only once a day. During this time I have taken him to the vet. His liver enzymes showed to be slightly elevated. The vet put Bailey on multiple antibiotics and thought it was a liver infection but his symptoms have persisted. Bailey is tired most of the day, except when I get him out of the house for walk after a half hour of asking him. He is happy to be outside when we finally get out-I can tell it still brings him joy. We then took Bailey back to the vet and had an ultrasound which showed that the liver and spleen were slightly enlarged which could still be attributed to the liver infection. The vet did not see any sign of cancer. We are now almost through all the medication and he is showing no sign of improvement. The vet is rechecking the enzymes and we should here on Monday. If they are still elevated then we'll have to try steroids and a liver flush followed by a liver biopsy.

I know this seems like a lot to ask but I am just curious if you have ever seen anything like this before? We are heartbroken and desperate for answers. Any information would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

...in the mean time, my dog Diego has had the same symptoms. His liver enzymes were very elevated and he had an enlarged liver. He has been treated by his vet with a  Denamarin, a liver supplement (not a prescription) you can get from your vet, or usually much cheaper online. His enzymes are back to normal, his latest liver ultrasound is normal and he is feeling good again. Bailey may have something a little different, but adding liver support should help, whatever it is. I'll pray for him...
Bailey is on Denamarin and the liver enzymes have come down but now the red cell count is lower than we would like. We have narrowed it down to Babesia and immune mediated hemolytic anemia. Thank you very much for your comment as I really appreciate the support. I'll keep you posted!! He did eat today which was a great sign and he even showed a little spunk too. Everyday is getting better now.
Thank you for the update. You have a great Vet and Bailey is in great hands for sure!
My Jack Russell Terrier, Jackie, has had problems with elevated live enzymes and bilirubin in her unine.  She stopped eating completely and we hand fed her L/D by Royal Canine for 3 months.  She had ultrasounds that indicated her liver was normal but her gallbladder had thickened bile so the vet put her on Ursocol and Glutamax which she still takes now for the last six months.  Today she had another panel and the vet was very pleased that her ALT, AST and Alkaline Phosphotase were all within normal limits.  Her GGT is still elevated at 11.17 but much better even than her last panel in September which was 16.85.  A normal range for GGT is .1-7.0.  She is still on a modified diet but she got really tired of the L/D to the point where she would not eat.  Her energy levels are good but she lays around more now that she did when she was younger.  She is twelve years old.  She also has a prolapsed mitral valve so we are watching that closely to see when she will need medication.  This problem with her heart, I believe could be aggravating her liver as well but right now the vet has not recommended medication.  I feel fortunate that she is still here with me and still trynig to boss around every other dog in the household (we have three total)!!