Dogs Community
Help with dog

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Help with dog

My min. pin./chiuawa mix (however it's spelled) Petey, is about 9-10 years old and very active. We have a pretty large size pit bull that thinks he's a small dog that is going on 5 years old, and another weenie dog that's sort of the bully of the bunch that is 2 or 3, they tend to be a little rough with the elderly dog and they'll try to play when most of the time he wants nothing to do with them. Just the other day I thought Petey got stepped on by the bigger one because they were all excited that we got home and there was a loud yelp from Petey. Later that night he jumped onto the couch and yelped and right away laid down, did not think anything of it. Until the next day, when my mother carried him out of the bedroom in a laundry basket with blankets, claiming during the night he was having trouble getting on the bed and also letting out loud yelps and cries. My father watched him for the rest of the day and he felt that Petey was doing a lot better. My mother and I took the dogs for a walk later in the evening and he was doing just fine until we got close to the house. He then curled up with his head down and she held him for the rest of the time. Another night went by and this morning I, myelf, took the dogs for a walk and again, he was doing fine for a bit but moving slowly. AGAIN, he curled into a ball on the grass and as I started to pick him up he let out yelps and cries. I'm wanting to know if this could possibly be an injury from the other dogs being too playful, or perhaps arthritis? Since he is doing fine on his own and can get anywhere he wants, we are waiting until next week to take him to the vet if he does not get better.
From your description, it sounds as if he has herniated a Disc/disk in his back & is in more pain than he is showing....It doesn't have to be from any trauma....He should not be allowed to do ANY running, jumping or even walking at this point.....He is risking a disc rupture that can lead to be paralyzed!!!!

You can google IVDD (Intervertabral Disc Disease) to read what you must do...

Until you can see a Vet for treatment, he needs to be confined to a small area or crate.....The sooner treatment begins, the better chance of a positive outcome.......Good luck, Karla
Only your vet can determine if his pain is due to an injury or arthritis. If it is arthritis, you can help him now by starting a glucosamine supplement. Pease see below for dosage. It won't help right away but will help in the long-run.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dogs/How-much-Glucosamine-do-I-give-my-dog/show/856110

If it were me, I'd take him to the vet since it seems like he's in pain. It's posible he pinched a nerve or he's dealing with arthritis pain.