Dogs Community
Help!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Help!

I just adopted a young bloodhound puppy last Tuesday, the woman had told me she was born December 25, 2011 (Christmas) now keep in mind we also adopted another female that was born December 19, 2011 and they are no where near the same size, the older one(Birdy)is pushing 35+lbs, has all her vaccinations current, the younger female (Ginger) is barely 11lbs...when I picked her up, my better judgement had told me not to get her for she was severely emaciated her hips ribs and paws were all skin and bone, really sad I actually thought for a minute she was a Chihuahua, and asked the woman if she was really born on Christmas, regardless, I paid the woman for her and took her home, I was freaked out thinking this poor pup was going to die because this woman was a horrible puppy mill person, again I know puppy mills should be discouraged, but seeing this poor pup in the condition she was in I couldn't say no, who knows she might have died.
     So, really long story short, I took her home, my husband was a bit upset with me calling me the bleeding heart liberal, but then saw how sweet and loving she was dropped it, and she has had a huge appetite, we have regulated her food, to 1 cup every 2 hours and then moved it up, were concerned about bloat, up until today she had a healthy appetite and at first she had horrible diarrhea, then about 2 days ago she started having solid stools, but today, this morning she was fine, playing around eating normal, but this evening when I got home from class (my husband was home with the pups) she has been sleepy and not wanting to eat and no stool since this morning. She has seen the vet this past Friday, (about 4 days ago)  and had her vaccinations, the vet did agree she was young probably around 5-6 weeks old, (as soon as this woman mails us the papers on her we plan on reporting her, until then its a matter of he said she said) and told us that we were doing well with her care, we had shown her the pictures of Ginger the day we had gotten her and she had filled out a lot in the few days we had her. She doesn't have worms, but at the same time, we are petrified there is something wrong with her. At the moment, we are tight on funds and really can't afford to spend 1000's on vet bills, unfortunately we have had a bad experience with vets, almost a year ago we had adopted a pup from the humane society, she had all of her vaccinations up to date, and almost a month later, (a week after she had her booster shots) she managed to catch parvo, but wasn't dx right away, the first vet said she was having a reaction to her shots and to come back in a couple of days if she didn't improve, well, the next day she had bloody stool and so we took her to another vet, turned out she tested positive for parvo and passed away 3 days later at 7 months old and 1100$ later. It did take us a long time to decide to get another puppy not to mention 2... the other is fine and acting normal (birdy) its Ginger that is acting out of the norm. Of course our thoughts go right to parvo, granted her symptoms are nothing like the other pups, shes not throwing up, nor is she having bloody stools, its just the lack of desire to eat and sleepy ness. Please if anyone has any suggestions please let me know
Well there is something wrong, and the wisest thing to do would be to take her right to a vet. It may be nothing much, but you can't take the risk with a pup so young.
It could well be a reaction to the vaccine. Some vets are inclined to deny that this happens, but it does. Some dogs have a few off days and mild symptoms after vaccination. as their immune systems are still developing, and suddenly are given an extra workload.
But sudden lethargy in a pup usually so active needs checking out.

It doesn't really bode well that she was underweight and looking sickly from the start. You don't know her breeding history, and those puppy mill pups have a shaky start in life.
It was brave and kind of you to take her on board, and just possibly your care and attention will get her stronger, and she'll be ok, and go on to live many happy years. I do hope so.
But the reality with a pup like this is she WILL most likely need a lot more veterinary attention than the average healthy pup.
So bite the financial bullet, and get her to the vet a.s.a.p.

I hope she'll be ok. Please post back and let us know how she gets on, if you have time. All the best.
We broke down and took her in at 8, of course, she decided to let go in the car and at the clinic, the vet said it was probably a reaction, surprising enough they admitted it after seeing her, not over the phone, and she did test negative for parvo! Thank god! Like I said that is the first place our minds went after the pup in the past. Odd enough that one had all her vaccinations and the vet had told us her immune system may have had a pre disposition to the virus. So, like I said we were panicked. She has put on in insane amount of weight in the week that we have had her, she does a a defect, which the vet had told us wasn't genetic, but apparently the way she was positioned in the whom her tail grew kinked, she told us that is probably why we found her in such bad condition because the woman probably had intentions of letting her starve to death. She is eating now, and acting normal, glad it wasn't something serious. We were racking our minds about it, every site pointed to obstruction or bloat, and seeing how careful we have been with her, feeding her small amounts, giving her ice cubes and a regulating her water intake for the reason of bloat. Just glad Ginger is fine now. (ya she is a red bloodhound, I know real creative on my husbands end)
I'm so glad to hear that your new little one is back to her old self!  I have to admit, when I first read your initial post, my immediate thought was "oh NO!  Parvo!"  I wanted so badly to think that it was a reaction to the vaccines, but four days later is a long time afterward for a reaction to occur.  

Kudos to you for being on the alert and for jumping on this as quickly as you did.  Had it been "the P word", you would have stood a good chance of pulling her through it by reacting as quickly as you did before the diarrhea and vomiting took over, but thankfully that's not a concern now.

I'd LOVE to see some pics of these two!  Bloodhound puppies are just some of the cutest things EVER!

Ghilly
So glad it was not parvo.  I watched my neighbor's dog die from that because she did not take her to the vet and she came to our house sick and dying.  I was so upset.  I know that parvo stays in the earth for a long time and too was worried.  You are awesome taking her in and being so great with her.  She is very lucky to have you and you to have her.