Hereditary Hypoglycemia?
I raise Chihuahuas and recently acquired a new female for breeding. After the fact I was informed by a third party that this dog suffered from hypoglycemia as a puppy. She is currently two and has no problems and since I have never experienced hypoglycemia with any of my dogs I am wondering if anyone knows for sure if this is a hereditary condition or just a by-product of neglect. If so she will be spayed and placed into my rescue program for adoption. I am posing my question here because I have received conflicting information from my vets office. Thanks in advance.
Chihuahuas are probably THE breed most prone to hypoglycemia, and where many dogs may develop it due to having gone too long between feedings as young puppies, even adult chihuahuas can develop it.

While it CAN be hereditary in chihuahuas, it is so prevalent in the breed in general that if the dog in question has not had a problem since she was a tiny puppy, I doubt that there would be any more of a risk of her future puppies dealing with hypoglycemia because she is their mother than just because they are chihuahuas, and their risk is so much higher just because of their breed.  If she had had a problem as an adult or as an older puppy I might hesitate, but any of them can suffer an incidence of hypoglycemia as puppies.  Of course, you need to go with what your own heart and mind tell you to do.  If you don't feel comfortable breeding her, then I wouldn't, if I were you.  Don't let anyone talk you into it if you really have any doubts about it.

I have to say that it is very refreshing to see someone who is a breeder who is worried about this, who cares enough about their breed to consider culling an individual from their breeding population because of it.  So many people don't consider it at all, and just figure it's part and parcel of being a chihuahua, and that's the kind of mindset that got the breed where it is in the first place.  If more people, from ANY breed, thought as you do, perhaps there would be fewer problems in our beloved pet dogs.

Ghilly