Dogs Community
Hi there, Question about dog getting water up nose when drinking

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Hi there,

I have a little Miki, who is about 5 lbs, and he is 6 yrs old. He gets water up his nose when he drinks, and it sounds as if the water gets stuck, sounds and looks like he tries to breath in and out, and coughs (sounds more like a honk) so naturally, he's got great anxt over it all. So, he takes a little bit, wines, walks around his cup, etc. He's so fearful to drink he won't do it unless you have your hand on the bowl, or cup. Sometimes he won't drink unless your finger is there to too! It all seems so crazy but since I'm in a dog forum I know you'll all understand :)

Should I just let him go so far that he just "has" to drink it himself? I do the whole Cesar Milan process, I take a deep breath, re-assure him, tell him good boy when he does it.

What to do? Is this a developed behavior based on what has happenend to him so he thinks it will happen everytime? Or, is it mechanical and he should see the vet?
Thank you for reading, and your thoughts.
Welcome to the forum.....It's mechanical!  Here's whats happening: This Tiny little guy is having to lean over TOO far to get a drink.....Either, the bowl is too large or too deep or the lip/edge of the bowl sticks out too far for his tiny throat....He's actually NOT getting water up his nose, but is hitting/bending his Trachea which causes the reaction......This is fairly common in small breeds.....

Many tiny dogs have weak tracheas (Tracheal Collapse).......Yes, he probably has picked up on the reaction if he gets a drink, thus the hesitation.....

Here's what to do: Get a tiny bowl (If you haven't already) & raise to up a couple of inches.....This should help....Plus, make sure your feeding at least 1 meal @ day of moisture rich foods......Be it fresh cooked veggies, High quality canned food, small amounts of fruits or any healthy leftovers from your own table (Including lean meats).......The extra moisture will provide a better hydration source if he isn't consuming enough water on his own.......

Straight Kibble fed dogs spend their whole life in dehydration......It really does lead to serious issues down the road......Add some moisture as much as you can, then he won't have to drink as often........Let me know if this helps & good luck......Karla

Hi Karla,

Thank you so much for your detailed response!
We have indeed changed up the bowles, even went to coffee cups on our laps, which he use to love  - but now is so afraid :( He sure does sound like a person who has water stuck between in and out :(

But, what you say here makes absolute sense, and I'm happy for the water veggie and food tips to keep him hydrated. We've started making his kibble super moist too - but that's been a challenge of other sorts for another day (royal canin changed their formula/toy indoor breed kibble).

I will definitely let you know how we make out.
Thank you so much :)
-shell