Dogs Community
Horrible foot rash, bleeds

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Horrible foot rash, bleeds

7450149?1322503156
My poor dog has had a skin condition now for quite some time, but nothing that any vet has given us for it has helped at all. The issue was described as "Microsporum canis", and after a bit of research I've found that apparently this is something that causes ring-worms.

He has very thin hair and dry skin, but the worst of the issue seems to be a rash he has underneath his feet. He gets these small welts all over the bottom of his feet and from just walking around on cement they occasionally rupture and bleed, becoming infected.

We've been treating him with "Nixelaf-C: Cafalexin" for more than a month now and I just don't see any improvement.

Any experiences you may have or anything you think could help, I'm all ears.
Thank you very much for taking the time.
Have you tried Benedryl? I know that sounds too good to be true, but my dogs get the redness, puffiness, sores on their pads a couple of times a year, and it's attributed to seasonal allergies.

My vet recommended I try Benedryl, and I've not looked back. I start in September, and they take it through November, then again in March through May (those are my girl's allergy seasons).

Check with your vet on the dose, but it's gotta be worth a shot, right?

Side-Note: Also could be a yeast-infection that's been transferred from the ear due to scratching/itching of the ear. Have you checked his ears for infection, or strange smells? "Momentamax" is what my vet has prescribed for yeast infections, in the past, and works well as an ear ointment, as well as a topical for the pads if transferred due to itching. Again, check with your vet.

My 2 cents.
To add to the good advive that el_em-en_oh has already given you, sometimes an OTC antifungal works better on ringworm than the prescription stuff.  Again, check with your vet before using it, but Lotrimin AF worked wonders on a cat of mine (and on Me!) when I caught ringworm from her.  

There is an ear product that controls the yeast organism Malassezia pachydermatis also, called Otomax, that may help in this situation.  And if all else fails, ask your vet about a prescription for griseovulfin.  It's an antifungal that is taken internally but it is quite effective.  Please keep us posted!

Ghilly
Something I want to add:  I'm leaning towards a fungus, also.....You might try soaking his feet in Epsom Salt solution....It is antifungal & antibacterial, plus will sooth his feet.....

Because of the thin hair & dry skin you describe, along with his feet, it sounds like his immune system is running on low....You need to build it up with nutrition......

Make sure your feeding a high quality GRAIN FREE diet (NO grocery store or discount center brands) & make sure the ingredient list has NO sugar (Of any kind) listed.....Fungus feeds off of sugar.....Grains turn to sugar in the system......Add some moisture of any kind to his food.....High quality canned food is excellent along with fresh fruits and vegetables for nutrition and moisture.....These things will help flush toxins from his system & hydrate his skin.........Good luck, Karla

Ouch....!  Poor boy....his feet must hurt.
Ok...first, the fact that you state that his hair is very thin, and his skin is very dry...makes me wonder if he is hypothyroid...? Is he overweight...or gains weight easily....? I would have his thyroid checked....make sure they check T4 and T3....Low thyroid will affect his immune system....( my dog was hypothryoid )
Now if he has a definite diagnosis of ringworm...it is contagious...that means , that he will be infecting his surroundings with spores of the fungus that fall off of him.  These spores can live for over a year...!  Humans can catch ringworm...So to protect you or others from catching it, and him from recurring infections, you need to do some deep disinfecting...Use a bleach solution of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water...mop down any areas...Floors , sidwalks, kennel..etc  at least 1 or two times per week....also...ideally you should vaccuum daily. Disinfect his bedding often if possible, or by new...basically try to keep all surfaces  that his feet or body come in contact with as clean as possible....WHEW...!  
Best wishes....Connie
Oh...One more thing....I personally like to use Organic Virgin Coconut Oil...for myself and my dogs....It is antifungal..antibacterial...and antiviral.....You can smear it on your dogs feet.....and give him some to eat...!  My dogs love it...!  
If he is a big dog...give him a tablespoon to eat daily.
And if you rub some on his feet..you don't have to worry about him licking it off, it won't hurt him at all.....!
Speaking of his feet, if he is willing to wear socks, you can cover his feet with cotton socks....be sure you keep the socks dry, and change them daily.
Connie
Ghilly, Misfits, TwoBits... I have to say, this is an AWESOME post, overall, as far as anything rash-related goes.

Heck, between the 4 of us, we pretty much covered every single rash treatment option that a K9 could come across!

This needs to be turned into a "Rash Template" or something, and whenever anyone comes here asking about puffy rashes, or otherwise, they need to be directed to this post.
My dog has the same sort of thing on his paws 3 year old APBT . Zits/boils that get yellow pus and then blood weeping out of em . also between the pads theirs no more fur , instead the skin their is sponge like and really tender.  Trying everything . Antifungal shampoo and spray have just made his feet swell up so far . White vinegar seems to give him temporary relief and cleans the wounds I use it after peroxide ... he's kinda miserable but he likes the attention .