Dogs Community
Hot weather danger that can kill a dog in 20 minutes

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

I am sure no-one on this community would be so thoughtless. Most people who love their dogs are careful, and would NEVER  leave dogs in cars in hot weather. But I saw the news tonight. In the UK two policemen (!) locked 2 German Shepherds in the police van, and when they came back the dogs were dead from heat stroke. Strangely, following this news item was a TV programme about the RSPCA (Animal welfare) where the officers found a dog dead in a car. The owners were at a Country event, where dogs were not allowed, and had left their dog in the car in 85 degree temperatures and baking sunshine.

A few points to remember...
It is ALWAYS far, far hotter inside a car than it is outside. The car acts as a greenhouse.
It's no good leaving a window slightly open. That doesn't help at all.
In summer weather it can be misty and even cloudy in the morning. Even before midday the temperatures can rise a lot, and the sunshine become very hot.
It's no good leaving the dog with a drink of water. That won't help. The water will soon become very warm anyway.
Dogs can't sweat to cool themselves down. They can only lose heat through panting (their mouths) through their feet, and through their ears. They are not as well-equipped as humans are to deal with heat.
A trailer, truck, or van which has no air-conditioning is no better to leave a dog in than a car.

If it's a hot day, and you have to go out in the car (shopping, getting the kids from school, or anything else where you may have to park your car and be away from it for even a few minutes) the best plan is LEAVE YOUR DOG AT HOME.
A dog can and probably will, die a terrified, horrible death, and it can take only 20 minutes
Wise words, Ginger.  Thanks so much for posting them.  I hope everyone who reads them takes them to heart.  It is SO important at this time of year to NEVER leave a dog in a car, for ANY length of time.  

Something else to remember is that it's not even safe to leave a dog locked in a running car with the air conditioner running.  A running car can stall, leaving the animal locked inside with absolutely no air to breathe.  In the summertime, it's definitely best to leave your pets at home where they are safe and comfortable.

Ghilly
I hate to see this too, whether it's leaving kids or pets in the car. I make a habit now of glancing in car windows when I walk through a parking lot just to see if there's a pet of child in there. If there is I will definitely call the police.
At our local large store in hot sunny weather I often walk among the parked cars to see if there are any dogs (or children!) shut inside. Once I saw a dog inside a car, a Spaniel, barking, and the temperature was very high with blistering sun outside. The window was open 2 inches, but I knew that was less than useless. I took the car registration, and went in the store, contacted the manager, and they called a message in the store. The owner came out, and I spoke to them. The woman was of course, defensive, saying she had only left the dog 5 minutes. Then we went to the car. The dog was ok. I hated having to do that, but had to put aside what they might think of me, or whether they'd think I was interfering. I felt glad I did it.

It is very easy to think "Oh I'll just dash in the store for some milk, and be out again in 5 minutes" But life isn't like that, and we often can get waylaid, and 5 minutes can turn into 30.
Hopefully there are tons of police, as well as child protective service workers to answer the phone every time you see a dog or a child in a car!  In fact, you'd better program those numbers into you cell phone speed dial- I'd imagine you'll run into this occurence at least 25 times a day.   And it might be a good idea to have your engine overhauled so that you can make a quick get-away out of town before your neighbors run you out on a rail!  Where's the Gestapto when you need them, darn it?!   Just kidding a bit-  but 'might want to re-think that.  I don't think you'd appreciate it much if somebody did the same to you.  
Great topic.  I can't say how many times I've had to track down people who left their animals in a roasting car.  I have no shame about it these days.  Some folks get defensive; others are grateful because they simply do not know how dangerous that practice is.

Leaving a dog in the open bed of a pickup is no more safe either.  The dog still needs a water souce and many times they end up with burned footpads from the searing metal of the truck bed.  Arrgghhh!
Hey girl!  Great to see you posting again!  {{{{{{{{Jaybay}}}}}}}}

Ghilly