Dogs Community
How can I give my sick dog his antibotics if he won't eat. It says...
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

How can I give my sick dog his antibotics if he won't eat. It says take with food!

My 7 month old puppy Kodi (Husky/Boxer) isn't feeling to well :(  The first 2 days he was eating small portions which isn't like him. He is always hungry. Since then he hasn't been able to keep anything down, food and water. His vomit looks kind of yellow and is slimy. Day 3, yesterday morning, I brought him to the vet. She examined him and of course he didn't act very sick. His heart rate is good, not high. Didn't have a high fever. Isn't dehydrated. She did x-rays on his stomach and isn't sure if he has swallowed something or he has to be treated with antibiotics because he has bad gas. She wasn't sure so she didn't do the emergency surgery. I purchased wet dog food that will be easy for him to digest. (He will not eat it though) I crushed up his anti-gas pill mixed with water and gave him it orally with a syringe. He's drinking water and keeping it down a little longer than yesterday. How can I give him his antibiotic without him eating?!? The bottle says "Give with food". Is it safe for me to give him the antibiotics' crushed with water on an empty stomach? Any advice would be appreciated please and thanks! :) He has another appointment tomorrow, Monday morning for another check-up to decide if he needs surgery.
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1916673_tn?1388595391
Some antibiotics upset the stomach and major digestive tract, hence eating with food helps alleviate such problems (strangely, other antibiotics have to be taken on an empty stomach). As your dog could already have an upset stomach it isn't worth further exaccerbating the problem with antibiotics by mouth. When you go to your vet tomorrow, ask if the antibiotic can be given by injection - at least this may kick-start a recovery, enough for him to take some food for the rest of the antibiotic course.

I would tend to lean towards him having some kind of blockage (not all blockages can be diagnosed by x-ray, and so this cannot be discounted). If surgery is suggested, at least he is young enough and by the sound of it otherwise healthy enough to cope. Good luck and do let us know what the vet suggests tomorrow. Tony
Blank
It's a scary thought. How many days can a dog survive without eating?
Blank
1916673_tn?1388595391
Please let us know what the vet says today. I am hoping this second examination will provide a diagnosis - and an effective treatment. If he is still not eating, you might try some baby food syringed into his mouth a little at a time or his puppy food mixed with a little water to make it 'sloppy' and suitable for syringing. Tony
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dogs Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...