How do I know when it's time to put my dog down?
My dog was diagnosed with lymphoma cancer 7 weeks ago. I chose not to treat with chemotherapy.  She has been on prednisone and tramadol during this time.  She has been eating and drinking, playing and seems alert.  This morning I woke up to discover that she had pooed in the house for the first time.  The stool was black and very loose.  Her lymphnodes are very large in her neck (baseball size) and the others are quite large as well.  

I can't be sure how much pain she is in, but having the accident inside is not something that is typical for her.  

Wondering if it may be time to put her down.  Could someone please tell me if I'm holding on too long.  I don't want her to suffer.
Firstly, let me say how sorry I am to hear about your best friend's lymphoma. You didn't say how old your dog is, but I am assuming she is not a younger dog. I am also assuming she has been to the vet for regular and frequent check-ups, as there are often various medications that can help against pain and other symptoms. As the illness progresses, the medications often need review, so any new symptoms are dealt with and doses increased as required. I understand your reluctance to use chemotherapy if the prognosis was very poor.

No one can say when the right time arrives for euthanasia. Sadly, that is in your hands and only you can truly judge it. All I can really say is (and as mad as this may sound) ... ask your dog. She will tell you in her own way when she is ready to leave - she will look at you in a certain way, and then rely on you to do the right thing and help her on her way. I know this is heartbreaking, but it is the last dreadful responsibility we have to endure and fulfill. I hope (sincerely) that the time has not yet arrived. Be assured we are here for support up to, during and after that time arrives. Big hugs, Tony
Tony,

She just turned 11 this month.  She has been to the vet regularly and her prognosis was stage IV and the vet gave her a few weeks after the initial testing.  It does seem as if she is looking at me in a different way.  Initially I thought it was the pain killers causing the strange stares at me, but it seems now that she is looking at me for help.  

Thank you for your kind words, I think its time.  Sooo sad
Hi. What can I say. Words are just words and they seem so innadequate at times like this. Whatever you decide and whatever or whenever you decide is the right time, you will be doing it out of love and kindness. She has had 11 fantastic years and you were both so lucky to have found each other. Your girl may well be looking at you and trying her best to communicate through her eyes ... I know only too well how such a stare can cut you through to the bone. My heart goes out to you. Big hugs, Tony
May God Bless You, many on here know exactly what you are going through and the feelings you have for your dog. 11 years is actually good for a large breed, but I know that does not lessen the pain. My Jack died out of the clear blue last October, although I knew he had a sickness, he was being treated, but I guess I thought he live longer than 5 and it was just such a shock. I remember those looks from Jack when he was feeling bad too. Hopefully she feels little pain and will stay with you a little while longer, but it's OK to grief for your dog, because they are family. I firmly believe dogs go to heaven, because it would not be much of a heaven without seeing your best friend too. Take care, Mark