How do you know if something is stuck in dogs intestines?
My dog, a 10 lb chihuahua, woke up this morning shaking. I took him out and he had diarrhea. Not much came out. He acts sick and shakes a lot. He did throw up once on the couch and has gone diarrhea in small amounts about 4 times today. I remember last night I saw him grab a whole grape and eat it. I didn't see if he chewed it at all though. Now I'm super worried that it's stuck in him. I know grapes are harmful to dogs, I don't give them to him but he has gotten ahold of them before and never acted this way. How do I know if he's just sick and feeling under the weather or if it's something more serious.
A dog is designed to basically swallow things whole and then digest them in their stomachs. Their teeth are made for tearing chunks from their prey, and if you will notice their jaws, they do not swivel like ours do so that they can grind things to chew them. This is because they essentially do the "chewing" when it's already in the stomach.
What I WOULD be concerned about is that he ate a grape. Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs can can make them quite sick. They CAN send them into acute renal failure. Do you know if there's a chance that he could have eaten more than one grape? As few as 7 grapes can make a fairly large dog quite sick, so one grape COULD have an effect on a 10 pound dog. Please get him to an emergency vet today so that if he IS being affected by the grape they can begin supportive treatment NOW. It can truly mean the difference between a complete recovery and losing him if you wait. Please let us know how he is!
Thank you for responding Ghilly. I took the dog to the vet this morning. The X-rays didn't show anything lodged. Ug he also did mention that would be hard to detect and would just blend in with his stomach muscles. He's gonna give him anti nausea meds and see if he eats. If he does I get him back tomorrow. If not then they will draw blood and test him for the other possibilities. on a positive note my dog was able to keep down water last night around 1:30am and this morning which he wasn't able to do earlier. And his did give me kisses this morning where he wouldn't move at all yesterday. I am trying to keep positive because I've never had an animal that I was so attached to and quite frankly I will be devastated it something happens to him.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.