Dogs Community
How long after allergic reaction do red spots remain?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Its been 3 days after a shot of Dex (steroids) and a shot of Cortisone at the vet. For about 2 days now he's (8 year Golden Retriever) been taking 4 benadryl every 8 hours (per vet instructions).

How long does it take for the red areas of skin to return to normal color?

The spots/areas is/are not nearly as bad as when the full blown breakout initially occurred and have subsided I would say 75% from how red and widespread that they were. His ears are still redder than normal as is his groin area. He's not puffy anywhere anymore and was seeming more himself today, but basically I just was thinking we'd keep giving the benadryl till the red is 100% gone though I don't know if that is right. I just don't want him to break out again because when we stopped giving it to him the 2nd night he relapsed though its now 3 days out and on the 2nd day he had the cortisone shot so maybe if we stop with the benadryl now he'll be ok, but just looking for opinions.
What did he have a reaction to? If the cause is still there then it won't go away. Call and ask your vet how long you should give it to him, I'm suprised they didn't tell you. Many dogs with chronic allergies need benedryl for life. My brother's dog gets benedryl every day all summer long, every year.
The cause of the reaction is unknown. The ER Vet suggested an allergy panel, but the regular vet just treated it with a cortisone shot. I could not get a response from the regular vet as to how long I should give the benadryl. Benadryl for life sounds a bit harsh. We'll always do whats necessary to keep him well, but the bills are piling up systematically here. I'd like an allergy panel done, but the decision lays with my Dad who always chooses to do as little as possible or only as much necessary to bury the problem of the moment and not be proactive about anything.

As far as physically looking around for the cause we looked all over and considered many possibilities, but saw nothing (bug or toxin etc..). There's just nothing to point at without the allergy panel test.

His skin is still somewhat pinker than normal. He scratched his ears with his paws earlier 1 time today, but that was the only time. I'm just scared to keep giving him Benadryl so much. Seems like it would hurt him after a while. Thoughts on that?
This would be an excellent question for Dr Cheng, on the Expert Forum (Ask a Vet) located on the right side of the screen, right under the Community Members.  It says "Related Expert Forums".

I'm sorry, I just don't know enough about the subject to give any sort of helpful answers.  

Be patient; it can take a few days of trying to be able to post a question to Dr. Cheng.  They only take 2 or 3 a day on that forum.  She does a very good job answering questions.
As he gets better you can probably wean him down to twice a day, then once a day, monitoring him all the while, but it all depends on the dosage, his condition, and your vet's plan. An allergy panel might be ideal, but they are expensive, and most dogs are allergic to something. Plus after the panel are you ready to pay for and give him frequent allergy shots? They do work very well, but are more for dogs with chronic horrible allergies. If this was just a random event, then I would go the benedryl route until he's better, and keep an eye out for any triggers. If he has these reactions more and more, then I would think about the panel/shots.