Dogs Community
How long is a dog in Labor??

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

How long is a dog in Labor??

My sons mini Lab mix Shena is having her 1st litter as I type.  My son is away & Shena is with my sister who bred many animals incl. horses, so she knows how to handle Shena..thank God.  
She started getting ready to give birth yesterday. Last night the pups dropped to the birth canal, & she is lactating.
Shena is panting now & than & crying at times. Is this labor & how long can labor last before sis should take her to a Vet?
Shena has a huge swollen & soft vulva. She always did have a large vulva but sissy said it opened alot more. In other words it protrudes to approx. 4" outside.
Sissy is concerned that the puppys may be too large to fit in the birth canal.....being that the dog got loose when she was in heat. My son doesn't know who's the daddy!!  He didn't believe that she was pregnant..well surprise!!

How long is too long to be in active labor??  It started Sat. early eve. & it is now Sunday night about midnight.
Is this okay?? I am worried about the poor girl. She is so sweet. Her picture is in my photos..she's the little Black dog with my Poodle Julie.  Thank you
If she has been in active labor since last night, with contractions, and has not yet produced a puppy, you need to get her to the vet ASAP!

Once the contractions start, the birth of the first puppy can be anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours away.  The uterus is made up of two sides.  Each side is called a horn.  The puppies from one horn are born, the mother rests for a little bit, and then she delivers the puppies from the other horn.  There should only be an hour or so in between horns.  If she is pushing longer than that and not producing any puppies, it's important to have her checked out by a vet since it's possible for her to become exhausted and not have the energy to push out the remaining puppies.  She could also suffer from uterine inertia, where the contractions aren't strong enough to move the puppies through the birth canal.  Once labor has started, it is important for the puppies to be born in a timely manner so that they do not sufficate inside of her.  

From what you have said, I wouldn't mess around with this any longer.  Without actually knowing exact times and seeing what the mother is going through, it's very difficult for anyone to sit at their computer and say that everything is OK or it isn't.  At this point, she needs to be examined by a vet to make sure the puppies are still alive and everything is OK.  If a puppy is stuck in the birth canal, it can die and cause all the other puppies to die as well if they aren't able to be born.  

Please keep us posted as to what the vet says.  I would get her to an emergency vet NOW.  Don't wait any longer.

Ghilly
Hi..thank you for answering.  The dog went to the Vet & X-rays were taken & she is NOT pregnant. I am floored!!  The vet said it's a FALSE PREGNANCY. Shena is just 2 & not spayed & never had a litter.
I saw Shena a week ago & her nipples are huge & hanging. She was always tired.  
That fooled me & my Sister.  Sissy is more shocked because she saw what the dog did the whole weekend...as I said above. I think I need to strangle my sister because she had us all crazy, including my Son, the dogs owner. I repeated to him all she told me.
I even yelled at him for being a careless dog owner when he swore the dog never left his sight. He didn't. "I" had to apologize..not my sister & he'd never say a word to his Aunt. lol lol  It's all okay..no more worry & we all still love each other.lol

Ghilly...through all of this, I learned alot from you about dog birthing. I never knew all this & especially about the horn.  I told a few ppl about the horn & they too never knew that word. Good to know. Thank you so much for helping me.
You're very welcome!  And what a surprise, huh?  LOL!  All that and she wasn't even pregnant!  

A false pregnancy is definitely one of those things that must be seen to be believed.  The dog's body is SO convinced that it is having puppies that virtually every symptom of pregnancy is produced.  It's really kind of a good thing that she wasn't really pregnant, puppies are a LOT of work and worry, and it's rough on the mother.  

Your son can look at this like he has been given a second chance to get her spayed so that she doesn't end up pregnant.  Also, at two years old, she is still young enough that if she is spayed now, it will still greatly reduce her chances of developing mammary cancer as she gets older.  Had she been spayed before she had her first heat cycle, it would have removed virtually any chance of her developing it, but she's still young enough for it to make a huge difference in her future health.  Also, since she has already had one false pregnancy, chances are very good she will have another, and it's not easy on her going through that.

I'm glad I was able to help you and was able to teach you something.  That's what we're here for at MedHelp!  Have a great weekend, and give Shena a hug from me!

Ghilly
how long is a dog in labor
It can vary, but within certain limits and there are signs to be watchful for which could indicate any problems. This link may help you:

http://www.2ndchance.info/caninelaborstages.htm