I think my dog ate a crumb of chocolate that fell to the floor. She woke up throwing up next day and was out of sorts for the remainder of that day. She then bounced back. Could the small amount of chocolate have caused her to fall ill? She's an 11 lbs terrier mix (small).
Hi. Yes, it's very possible. Human chocolate has several ingredients that make it toxic to dogs, and many varieties also include a sweetener called xylitol, which can cause a severe reaction in dogs. It is very dangerous. I'm pleased she "bounced back", but do try to be more careful in the future.
Unless your dog is HIGHLY allergic or sensitive, a crumb of chocolate is not going to make her sick. Even an 11 pound dog, small though she may be, will not react to a crumb of chocolate.
Theobromine is the substance in chocolate that is toxic to dogs and cats. Different types of chocolate have higher or lower concentrations of theobromine in them, so depending on what type of chocolate it was, some are more dangerous than others.
Bakers chocolate has the highest amounts of theobromine in it and is very dangerous for dogs and cats to eat. Cocoa powder is as toxic as bakers chocolate. Even a piece as small as one ounce can be dangerous for a large dog to eat, and for a small dog a piece that size can be deadly. Dark (semi-sweet) chocolate is the next highest concentration. A one ounce piece in a dog weighing 11 pounds is moderately toxic. Milk chocolate is much milder. A one ounce piece in a dog weighing 11 pounds is only mildly toxic, so if it was milk chocolate and it was only a crumb, then there is practically no danger to your dog. White chocolate isn't chocolate at all, so there is basically no danger to your dog if she eats it.
Symptoms of chocolate toxicity include vomiting, increased body temperature, hyperactivity and hypervigilance, muscle rigidity, rapid breathing, increased heart rate and lowered blood pressure. If your dog experiences any of these, take her to a vet immediately just to be on the safe side.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.