Dogs Community
How to help dog with upset stomach

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

How to help dog with upset stomach

Hi I have a corgi mix
I talked to the vet and she said my dog has an upset stomach and that is what is causing her to want to eat everything like grass, her dog pillow, and dog hair
they couldnt get her in there clinic until next week they told me I could give her pepto which I have done for the past 2 days and nothing is helping her
what else can I do for her until her vet visit
all idea are greatly appricated
Sounds like some kind I'd upset.  No other Vet you can get into sooner?
Ask if you can give Pepcid and the dosage.
What food are you feeding? Is the dog eating?  Any diarrhea?
You can try a bland diet of chicken breast (no skin) and rice and add a little tomato, or not.  
Not the best of foods but you can try feeding Pro Plan for sensitive stomachs.  

Sorry, meant to add that she may need to be checked sooner.
Is she vomiting, or has diarrhea? Or both? In which case withhold food for 24 hours. No food at all, just water, and don't let her gulp down a lot of water at once, just little and often.
A little honey (very small amount) to lick would be ok but no solid food.

Sometimes that alone will solve the problem, allow the digestive system to rest completely. Then on the 2nd day just allow her a little rice. Plain boiled rice. If she responds well, and seems hungry, allow her a little more until you're sure she is tolerating it OK. Then add a little white fish or chicken stock (just the plain water fish or chicken has boiled in)....if that's OK, then allow her some white fish or chicken (as Margot said -no skin or fat) with her rice. 2 days on this food will often set them to rights, unless there is something more serious going on, like Pancreatitis.
Really, if she continues to be sick, it might be best to consider taking her to another vet rather than waiting until next week.

If she does have Pancreatitis, it is painful, and needs veterinary care and advice quickly.
I feed her ol' roys complete netrition
All the other vets I have called said they don't have any openings sooner and there is only about 3 vets around me that are close the others are about an hr away. I was giving her lamp meat and rice flavored dog treats and that was the only thing she was vomiting so the vet said to take her off of that and to cut her food down to under half of what she would normally eat and to give her pepto twice a day. she has no diahrea all of her stools have been hard. I have tried the rice and she will not eat it.... She seems to be getting a little better now. I have cut her water down as well but the vet said to give her small amounts of water 3 times daily because it being so hot they dont want to dehidrate her.
After she started the pepto and I took the treats away she has not gotten sick.
Welcome....Please make yourself aware of exactly what's in the FOOD and treats you are feeding her......Also, read the reviews after the article......Also, do a background check on the treats you are feeding whatever they are! It will probably help you AND her out....Karla

Here's the link about the food:
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/ol-roy-dog-food-dry/

Yea I have takein her and my others dogs off those treats and I will never buy them again since I have been giving her the pepto she has gotten back to herself she is back at argueing with everyone when they come in and acting her self the vet still wants to see her to make sure but since not giving her the treats and giving her pepto she has been doing so much better
Thanks everyone for your advice
I9 am glad she seems much better.
Some dog treats -in fact many -contain very nasty stuff.
For a treat, there is nothing wrong with a bit of plain boiled meat or fish. They love it, it's healthy, what more do they need?
I used to make oatmeal cookies for my dog for crunchy treats. They contained grated carrot or apple, fine oatmeal, and water, and a tiny amount of olive oil. My dog loved them and they were so easy to make.
Im glad she is doing better to
She is hyper and back to the normal her I didnt think about the treats when I bought them because they are the same brand as her dog food so I just figured that since she ate the dog food then she would be able to eat the treats as well
The vet said I could try and give her the treats again if I want just to make sure that I watched how much she was eating because all of my dogs got tape worms later last year and they all lost weight her included so we were keeping them contained and now allowing them much exercise (vets order) so they would gain the weight back and she got back to her normal weight and gained more over that so they think she may have gotten un upset belly because she wasnt getting exercise after she got her weight back but the vet never told me when I could allow them to start running around and exercising again and because all 3 of my dogs were under weight I wanted to get them back to weight so I kept them contained but now the vet says my corgi is ok to go back to exercising but my bigger lab mixes are not aloud just yet they still have to gain more weight to be up to their weight
Thank you for your concern