Dogs Community
Huskey & Seizures

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Huskey & Seizures

I have a beutiful cinnamon colored Siberian Huskey, named Sasha, that has seizures.  The first one I witnessed happend last fall and I was devastaed.  I thought she was choking on something, so I ran to her.  She fell to the ground, foamed at the mouth, had convulsions and than stiffened up.  It looked like she stopped breathing and I thought she died.  I didn't want to leave her side.  When I thought she was gone, I ran to the house, only to have her jump up and run after me!  Needless to say, I was shocked.  It was than that it occured to me she was seizing.  I witnessed this one other time.  I don't believe in making your dog stay outside day/night, but this dog REFUSES to come in the house for longer than 5 minutes.  She we let her stay outside, where she kills everything in sight.  It's her playground out there.  I try to get her to stay in so I can monitor her.  When she is in, I always find puke spots.  I took her to the vet and they did blood work.  Everything seemed fine.  They wanted to put her on medication, but once she's on it, she will have to be on it for the rest of her life.  As well, you can't miss a dose or else bad side effects can happen.  They aren't that severe yet, so I opted out of the meds.  I realize I'm rambling, but I'm trying to give insight on her daily life.  Does anyone know of any herbal remedies or certain foods that can help reduce seizures.  The vet said that huskies are very prone to seizures and often times what they eat can contribute.  Anyone with knowledge on this matter is appreciated!
I have a french bulldog that has seizures.  He is on pheno, and potassium bromide.  I would try to hold off on these meds - unless you have to.  Calvin seems to be more prone to seizures - if he has anything with tomatoes in it.  But ... I am very strict with his food, and he did have 5 seizures in 2 hours last night.  And you are correct, the meds have to be given the same time every day - and that alone is sometimes difficult.  I wish you the best of luck !
Thank  you!  I recently heard of a vitamin supplement, Taurine, that helps with seizures.  I haven't looked into yet, but plan to.  Tomatoes, huh?  I will watchout for that then. Thanks again!