Dogs Community
I Want A German Shepherd

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

I Want A German Shepherd

I have recently decided to get a German Shepherd, but I am unsure as I have hr=eard they can have big health problems. What exactly is common for GS to get? I would also like to know the difference betweena long-haired and a short-haired.
Thanks Lovably17
Before you bring any dog into the family do your research go on the web, get books on the breed ,talk to people that have that breed, and talk to the vet, first you want to find out if that breed is good for your life style, your family and if they have health problems what is the vet cost.And there are many wonderful purebred pet rescue out the you can get them as puppies or older dog a GS rescues can be found in many states.I do not know a whole great deal on GS but have foster a few and this is the info that i have on them hope it helps.

If this dog fits your life they do  have a great amount of health issues hat are related to that breed so i would get a care plan and prevention plan with vet set up asap if you get one you get one.

The difference in log hair and short hair is mostly length and plushness and look.Long hair have no undercoat (not waterproof like short hair) and long hair do not shed as much.
Some medical problems are  bone and joint disease ,fear induced aggression, chronic diarrhea( cause by sensitive stomach), pancreatic insufficiency,pannus(inflammation and discoloration of cornea),perianal fistula,pyoderma (bacterial skin infection),hemangiosarcoma,hind leg weakness,hypothyroidism,bloat,and epilepsy.These are all breed related problems and not all dogs get them or even get one of the above they are just known breed related health problems they are good dogs and easy to train the love to be with families.But  like I said before make sure any breed you look into getting fits good with your family life and lifestyle and do your homework on that breed.Good Luck.
  • Breeding (4 replies):
    How old should my female French Bulldog be before breedi...[more]
  • dog breeding (6 replies):
    Can u breed a akc registered male to one of his pups and...[more]
  • Dog super hyper (4 replies):
    can animals take adderall?
  • Help (1 replies):
    I have a friend that wants to breed her 1 year old long ...[more]
  • Need Help (1 replies):
    hello everyone, i am new here, want to know what is the ...[more]
Welcome......I'm sorry, I don't know the difference between long or short hair....

What I can tell you is that there are 7,777 German Shepherd Dogs, available for adoption as of today, on Petfinder(Dot)Com.....This is not a misprint!

When your ready, please adopt!    Karla