Dogs Community
I lost my dog in January.

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

I lost my dog in January.

My 4 yo Miniature Schnauzer had to be put down in January due to complication to I dont know what. One morning she got a bad infection in one eye(a lot of green pus).I treated her with love and good cleaning thecnique the first day. The next day we got her to the vet for some eye drops and antibiotics. Over time it got to the other eye. She was lethargic was not eating or drinking well at all. She vomitted her antibiotics. By the next 3 days she went from sick to deadly sick. The vet did blood work that showed she had kidney disease( Real bad). She had open sores on her face and nobody could tell us what was wrong with her. We had no choice after 3 day of vet intensive care in site for flushing her kidney than to put her down as she was suffering too much. To this day I wonder what could have cause this. She was a pet inside all the time. No other annimal in house. She was all OK on her yearly vaccines. We found out she was a bit more tired before getting sick but tought sheb was just lazy as she was spoil. We miss her terribly.Can you speculat. Thanks
So sorry to hear of the loss of your little dog and she was so young.  the beginning of your post sounds like a case of Conjunctivitis, not all that unusual and treatable.  The fact she got so sick and you mentioning open sores on her face and the renal failure has me stumped.  I would suspect a bacterial or fungal infection.  Did the Vet do any skin scrapings and/or blood work like a blood panel?  Perhaps she had an systemic immune disease going on that was undiagnosed.  
Any chance she was bitten by something?  Did you ever find any tick(s) on her as tick borne diseases can be a problem and long after a tick bite.
Did you happen to bath her in any insecticidal shampoos (tick/flea dips or shampoos)?  
You just may never know why she got so sick and died so soon especially without having other tests or a necropsy done and even those may not have given you an answer.  
Sounds like you did what you could for her and I'm sorry for your loss.