Dogs Community
I think My dog is hurt

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

I think My dog is hurt

My son was playing with my 2 year old golden retreiver and blonde lab, last night in the yeard nothing harsh or hard just throwing a ball and running. My son went to throw the ball again and my dog whinned at thim and has winned ever since if you call him or make him move. But he went for a wlak with my son even ran and never whimpered or limped, only when he sets then trys to move. Someone please any ideas I love my dog and hate seeing him like this but don't have the money for a Vet.
Please help in Virginia
Your dog needs to see a vet.   Ask about a payment plan.  If there is absolutely no way you can take him to a vet  call your local animal shelter.  You may need to surrender the dog
to them but you cannot let him suffer.     He needs  vet care.
My dog is not suffering. He is in pain yes when he moves at times, he runs with my son and will walk its just after setting for a period of time. To suggest me to surrend him to a shelter is just off the wall!! I would never give my dog away. I only thought perhaps someone could tell me things to do to make him more comfortable while he heals from this or other USEFULL suggestions. Not ignorance like you just showed. Thanks but no thanks. He needs love not strangers who don't know him, deciding his fate.
You posted that your dog was in pain and you don't know how badly he's hurt. A vet can determine that, but you can't afford one. What if your dog has a back injury? From your description, it sounds like that's what his problem may be. Sometimes back injuries heal on their own, but often they need some special type of medication or therapy, like anti-inflamitories, pain killers, and monitoring of exercise and movement for proper healing. Sometimes back injuries do not appear to be very painful, but any wrong movement can cause major damage. Sometimes surgery is required.
He may have a slipped disc or pinched nerve. He may have a minor sprain. There's no way to know unless a vet evalutes and diagnoses the problem. You need to take him to a vet in case this is something that can turn into major pain and suffering with simply one wrong motion. Vets usually will work with you to make out a payment plan.
If you're that reluctant to take him to a vet, then put him in a crate so he can't move around much for a few days, and he can rest. You can give him baby aspirin. If he has a minor injury like a sprain, this should be enough to help him heal. But if it's a pinched nerve or slipped disc or something else, a vet is the only option you have for his recovery. If you can't afford vet care, even on a payment plan, then what Have 2 kids suggested about surrendering him is not meant to be an offensive suggestion, just one that is in the best interests of your dog.
Thank you for your post, I have been in contact with a vet and I am planning on doing the things you suggested. The asprin especialy, the Vet suggested if he does not get better by wed he is headed to the vet.
I took offense to the comment because it was cruel, to offer no real sympthy or concern for the situation and state the odvious and add something like surrender your pet, it was  condescending and rude, if you cant offer at least support and compassion you shouldnt post anything at all.just because people are poor and cant always affrod a trip to a vet or doctor for themself doesnt mean they love any less. or dont have the best intrest of the animal at heart. I think u should give  prayers or support before you offer a suggestion so cold as surrendering a animal, this seems to imply u dont deserve to have the pet when u cant afford a vet. a dog (pets) are like family, and when they r hurt we already feel bad enough, we dont need to be made to feel worse. If i said my mother was sick and we couldnt afford the sugery, would it be suggested to drop my mother off? No, u would look ask n talk to whoever you could to help your mother. 2kids needs to figure that out and show more compsion then she does on allot of her posts.
Thanks again for the positive post, Aj
Sometimes, the hardest and the kindest thing is to do exactly what have2kids suggested, if a dog is badly injured and suffering.

There is no doubt you love your dog, very much.  But there are times when love is not enough...when it has to be accompanied by action.  

You see, we read these types of posts often.  Too often.  There was a post not long about from a man whose dog suffered a terrible injury, an open fracture to the shoulder, yet he would not take the dog to a vet.   He was just as indignant as you were at the suggestion he take the dog to the Humane Society, where they can often provide care at little or no cost...or to surrender the dog so that the injury could be repaired and the dog rehomed.
His dog was clearly in agony, and was going to die a horrible death...yet he was incensed at the implication he might need to surrender his dog.

If your dog is doing relatively well, the simple over the counter remedies might work.  Unfortunately, if it is a slipped disc, time passing will effectively render a solution impossible.  Some problems are less expensive and easily treated if they are seen right away.
But no one knows if this is a simple strain, or something worse.  Hopefully, your dog is well on the road to recovery.

There is a program called CareCredit (you can google it for info).--its a credit card that is only used for Vet or Medical bills.  If you can get it, you will always have peace of mind that your muched love dog can get care whenever needed.  

Though your dog may be fine now, be aware that as a dog owner, you are responsible for providing veterinary care if he/she is injured, just as your example of your mother you used.  If you were responsible for your mother, and she was sick, yes..you'd have to get her care whether you could afford it or not.

Many vets will work with you on paying.  We've all been there...vet bills are expensive.  They know it, and they don't want your pet to suffer, either.  

Hope it all works out,

Peek
You are entitled to your opinion about me.    Amazing that in the day you've been a member you took  the time to read all my posts and KNOW that I'm uncompassionate and need to learn so much.
I too am entitled to my opinion.   You don't know what's wrong with your dog.  He could most definately have a spinal injury.   I think it's irresponsible not to seek vet care when you
don't know what you are dealing with.  
You can talk all you want but it won't make your pet better.  
Please be very careful with dogs and aspirin...only use it if your vet says it's OK. Dogs are much more sensitive to aspirin than humans are, and it can actually be poisonous to them. Personally, I wouldn't use it.
I agree, a vet is definitely in order. I think we all need to be compassionate with our pet family members. We, after all, are taking care of them. We selected them, we brought them into our family. We promise to love them and care for them and that means tending to issues like this immediately.

Please reconsider the hostile attitude. We are passionate animal lovers and assume everyone understands the concept of being good stewards to the animals they bring into their family.

Even if you feel you are being silly or that we are over-reacting, please consider that if your dog is in pain, it deserves to be addressed promptly. You would not allow your child to writhe in pain, right?
Again I just posted this in another thread, there are some free veterinary places for people who are lacking money to take their dogs and get them the treatment they need, so no dog has to go without!
I have a chihuahua 1 year old who fell off the bed on janurary 1st and landed on his right side leg , after the fall he whined like he was scared it happen and yelled . After the fall be kept his leg up. I think he might be in pain and I took him to the free examine at Petco and they just mention he might have a spraine. After the examine he started running around and jumping everywhere he could and today he started to pick his back leg up again but it's higher then the last time ..  I'm worried .