Dogs Community
ITCHY BUMPS ?????

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

ITCHY BUMPS ?????

Hello I have question
I have st. bernard she is an inside dog and she has itchy bumps on her spine and chest area they reminding me of misquito (mispelled) bite was wondering if anyone knew what this was or advise.
Thanks in advance
Are you certain they aren't flea bites? Most dogs get fleas sometime in their lives. If you have treated her for fleas very recently, then maybe not.
I always use Frontline for my dog because it's the one I trust. It costs a little more, but is safe. Some flea treatments I feel are unsafe.

Dogs can get mosquito bites too. Even though you say your dog is an "inside dog" she will have some times outdoors, when she will go near grass and such I guess.That's maybe where she got bitten.You could put a little Benadryl cream on them. It will stop the itching, calm everything down, and is OK for dogs.
(Benadryl cream and me!....I could do an ad for them! we have a love-affair going on right now. Insects seem to bite more at this time of year. There are some nasty bugs biting out there at the moment! One bit me yesterday which made my whole lower arm swell up, but it is OK  and back to normal now)
Thanks for info. I to use frontline and it's the best. No I don't think it's fleas at all.. Very well could be mosquito bites just wondering if any thing else would do this?

I've given her bath in oatmeal, used omega 3 in food help coat with oils (guess I was giving her to many baths her skin dry) But she loves baths she will jump in tub every so often and i guess she feels dirty cause I'll turn water on and she sits still as I give her bath...
Yeah......although I'm not a big fan of smelly dogs, I do prefer to bath my dog not TOO often. (fortunately her natural smell is sweet, and she doesn't roll in gunk!)
It's nice to keep the natural oils in the skin, as there is nothing better, I believe, for keeping a dog's coat healthy, skin healthy, and fur to some extent waterproof.
For dogs that have a stronger smell, or who DO roll (yuck!) they need a bath!
A detergent-free dog shampoo (Oatmeal is good) is a good idea. And don't have the water too warm.

There could be another reason for the itchy lumps, someone else here may have an idea. But my bet is it IS biting bugs, and she's picking them up somewhere she goes, maybe mosquitoes.

Just out of interest....does she go swimming? Maybe she picked something up in the water? You could try an insecticidal shampoo which you could get from your vet.
She loves to play in water but I am scared deep water or lake etc...she been in small play pool w/just plain water and tub...loves play water hose lol she tries bite tip as water is coming out so cute