Dogs Community
If its not the anal glands, what is the problem

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

I have a 4 yr old beagle/foxhound, spayed and wormed who has been scooting.  Took her to the vet, had the glands done and she is still scooting.  I can't afford another dr. visit right now.  Could she have bladder infection, yeast infection???  She's eating and behaving normally just dragging herself several times a day.  Thanks for any help.
Scooting, in the absence of any other symptoms, does seem to point to an anal gland problem. All I can think of is maybe either the glands weren't expressed properly, or she has a mild infection in them, or they have filled up again very quickly. I think it's best to take her back to the vet for him to check this.

I don't mean to sound arrogant or anything, but it is always a good idea to have pet insurance for your dog, which would easily cover stuff like this. The monthly cost shouldn't be that much, and it is better than suddenly having to cover vets' fees yourself. Dogs are always getting little upsets of one kind or another, many of these things are not serious, but need attention. (I've had to take my dog to the vet 4 times this last year) So insurance is the way to go.
If she's just have her anal glands expressed, it could take a few days for them to return to normal...It drives my female crazy for about 4-5 days after. (Continued scooting). My guys, it doesn't bother a bit. I give her Benedryl for a few days after. The dose is 1mg. per lb. twice @ day. This seems to ease her discomfort! Other than that, I have read that lower back pain can cause scooting......But, normally scooting is anal glands. Did your Vet think the anal sac fluid was normal? Normal is kinda clear and thin. Infected is dark and thick? Did you notice? Yes, it all smells awful!!!!!!!!!!  Good luck, if it's just been done, I'd wait a few days and see......Karla
You can rule out a bladder infection if she is not having trouble unrinating and has not increased her unrination. If there was a yeast infection there would be a strong odor. I agree with Ginger and make a trip to the Vet to have the glands examined again.

Should that not be the problem you may want to try wiping her with baby wipes after she goes relieves herself. If her tail is tight against her rear end that causes moisture which is irritating. However, I don't know if that mix breed would have that problem and you have no pictures posted. She may have gotten used to it from doing it for sometime or have some irritation on the vaginal area from the dragging.

I have English Bulldogs and they have to be wiped all the time and they still scoot. They do it when they want to be wiped and have come to expect it as soon as they come in from going outside and it is necessary. It comes with the breed.

Your dog also could have developed an infection and needs ointment if the galnd were done recently. You have not indicated how long ago it was done.

A re-exam is necessary regardless. If there is an infection present you do not want it to progress. If it were a bladder infection or yeast infection you would have to go back to the Vet anyway.
Sometimes dogs just don't like to clean themselves, and they will scoot as a way to "wipe" themselves so they don't have to do it.  We have a cat that does this also.  He has been wormed, his anal glands have been expressed and he has no "berries" stuck to him, he just prefers to "wipe" after he poops.  

I know you said that you can't afford another vet visit right now, but perhaps you can call him and tell himwhat she's doing.  Maybe he could offer some advice over the phone.  

Ghilly
That is exactly why my Bulldogs do it Ghilly. It is becuase they physically can't clean themselves so we have to clean them with the baby wipes.

They like it so much that we could be watching TV and they will go down on the floor and do two spins and then jump back up on the couch to get a wipe down, lol

They see that blue and white box of wipes and it is like Christmas in Doggyland!
Red, that story is the first time I've laughed in two days!  :-D
I am glad to be of service.
Thanks for all your advice.  She had the glands done a month ago and never has stopped scooting since then.  My fiance died and I have our two beagles.  My finances have been drastically affected but I will take her back to the vet this week.  It worries me to see her doing this and I don't want her to feel bad.  Everything looks normal, no wiping needed but will try to see if it makes her more comfortable. Deborah
What sort of pet insurance do you have?? what all does it cover?? how much is it?  Thank You Pam
Hi Pam. No I don't have any pet insurance. My girl passed away 3 years ago and I haven't got another dog yet. While she lived I kept a savings account for her from day one. We almost never needed it so the money built up. Then in her last year or so I received a small inheritance which covered her medical care.