Dogs Community
Immobile Great Dane

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Immobile Great Dane

I have a one year old great dane who was suddenly paralyzed in his back legs.  The paralysis spread to his front legs in a couple of days.  It's been about a week and half and he can now move his legs around, but refuses to stand up. He'll sit up sometimes, but only when he absolutely wants to.  We don't really know what it is.  There are so many options that have been thrown at us: tick paralysis, coonhound paralysis, wobbler's disease, snake bite, or ischemic myelopathy.
I'm nursing him now, keeping his bed clean and moving his legs around.  He tries to stand every now and then and eats and drinks fine, but seems to be getting severe atrophy in his front legs.  He seems to be losing muscle mass all over.  I don't know what to do, he weighs 140 pounds and is too heavy to support.  I can't afford to take him anywhere for hydrotherapy.  Is there anything I can do for him?
I can't imagine how frantic you must be right now.  I wish I could help, but this question really is one for the veterinarians here at Med Help.  If you haven't done so already, create a new post on the "Animal Health - General" forum.  Scroll down this page and look on the right side for the link under "Related Expert Forums".  

The way I see is this: where there's life, there's hope.  Your dog hasn't given up and neither have you.  Keep on doing what you're doing.  :-)
You need to take him to a vet as soon as You're able to.
You do not want him to be in pain or suffering it does not seem to promising.
With the tick you would see signs within a week and then within a few days they get really weak and have trouble even holding there heads up.With the coonhound disease they become weak in there back legs and then it moves forward until they cant stand.It usually starts getting better after 7-14 days.It can take a few months before they are back to normal .But they do get better!!!  Wobblers syndrome causes them to have trouble with there Front legs usually and they have trouble lifting there heads as it gets worse.With Great Danes sometimes they grow to fast and it can cause this.It can be treated though.Keep moving his legs for him and try to keep him as active as you can.Do you have any friends or family that has a pool that they might let you use.You could try that.
I hope he gets feeling better soon Please keep us posted.Take care and God Bless