Dogs Community
Intense muscle spasms

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Intense muscle spasms

My dog began shaking and appearing to have muscle spasms in her lower body last night. She is a dachshund. She seemed fine, but when I woke up this morning she appeared to start shaking again. When she sat up she tilted her head back, looked disoriented, and licked the air. She seems to be more comfortable on her back, but I haven't prompted her to walk yet. Not sure what's going on?
Has she jumped off any furniture or anything where she could have hurt her back?Daschunds are  prone to herniated disc in there backs and necks and she would need to be x-rayed in order to know for sure.I would probably go ahead and take her into your vet and let them check her out.Also it could be that she may be having seizures.When she appears to be having a spasm does her body appear rigid and then she seems disoriented after?Has she ever done this before?I hope that she gets feeling better soon. Please keep us posted on how she is doing.Take care and God Bless
She tries to jump off furniture, but hadn't in several hours as we had been in bed. I'm leaning towards a herniated disc; we're going to the vet this morning. She seems to have lost use of her back legs and is trying to pull herself by her front legs. However, she doesn't appear to be in pain. Her lower stomach is just really tight on both sides and she has spasm spells. I'm keeping her laying down and she has just been relaxing. Thank you for your feedback!
It does sound more like an injury to her back.Keeping her still is the best thing to do.You will probably have to do that for awhile.It is hard to say if she will require surgery for it or not.If  they dont have to do surgery then they probably will put her on some steroids and give her some anti-inflammatory meds for the pain.Riamadyl is a really good pain med.Also there is Dermaxx ,Ectogesic and Tramadol they are all used for treating pain issues. Rimadyl is a more common used med though,It can be used for long periods of time.Well i hope that your baby gets to feeling better soon.Take care and God Bless
I just wanted to check and see how your baby is doing.What did the vet tell you?I hope that she is feeling better now.Please keep us posted.Take care
HOW DO YOU HELP YOUR DOG'S MUSCLE SPASEM TO STOP IT MORE LIKE CRAMPING UP THIS IS THE SECOND TIME SHE HAD THIS HOW OR WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP HER WITH THE PAIN IT HAS TO HURT
Try massaging it gently and call your vetrinarian. They have meds that can help with it too. Ask about a supplement safe for her for prevention of it in the future.You posted on someone elses post, you might want to go back to the community and at the top of the page click "ask a question"
I'm sorry I spoke too soon, do not massage her back! Take her to the vet first! She most likely has an injury. I'm sorry.