Dogs Community
Is Hartz Flea shampoo taxic?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Is Hartz Flea shampoo taxic?

I gave my yorkies flea baths an used hartz shampoo - I usually only used this shampoo on My RIP Freddy who was 90 lbs.  My 6 month puppy seems fine.  My one year old yorkie had the soap on a lttle longer  he weighs about 8.5 lbs he is out of it - shaking lethargic-sleeping.. No like is normal happy bus self.  I have gotted his to eat and drink a little a  I also rebathed him in alot of water . any suggesstions.
Tags: hartz shampoo
Wash your dog with plain water, and let it just rinse and rinse and rinse over him even though there are no suds coming off of him.  Hartz flea preparations are some of the most deadly that are available when it comes to pets having adverse reactions to them.  A few years ago Hartz was even forced to pull many of their products off the shelves and were told to stop producing certain ones because so many pets were getting sick and dying from using them.  Here is a web address where you can go to read about the people who have had and who continue to have bad things happen to their pets from using Hartz Mountain products.  http://www.hartzvictims.org/  

Call your vet's office and see if there is an emergency number to reach him or her on the recording, most vets have their home number or at least a number where you can call to leave an emergency message that they check frequently when the office is closed.  Or, if you have an emergency vet in your area, take your dog there now and let them take a look at him.  Don't wait until morning if you can help it, the longer he goes without supportive treatment the more problems can arise.  If you don't have an emergency vet or can't reach your own vet, call a poison control center immediately and ask them what you can do until the vet opens up.

Please post back and let us know how he is doing!

Ghilly
Wow!  I had no idea about Hartz.  Haven't used it, and won't start.  2yorkieboys, I hope your dog gets better.  What a scary thing to happen.  Hope we hear good news back from you.
Hartz is bad, bad news.  I was reading an article just the other day that even the employees of Hartz have been dying!  Those products are SO toxic it's not funny!  

What many people don't realize is that there are products on the shelves that are made by Hartz that have other labels on them instead of the Hartz label.  Sargent's is one.  Zodiac is another.  Pretty much any brand that is sold in grocery stores is unsafe for pets, and in pet stores, you need to read labels carefully and make sure who the manufacturer is, but truthfully, when it comes to flea products, the safest thing to do is to purchase only those sold by your vet.  They are the safest available.  It's not worth saving a couple of dollars on the price of the item if you end up with a hundreds or thousands of dollars vet bill because of that item or, heaven forbid, lose the animal because of it.  

The fact that Hartz was forced, by the FDA, to pull a large percentage of their products from the shelves PERMANENTLY and cease any further production of them says it all.

Ghilly
There are non-toxic tea tree oil shampoos that are supposed to help with fleas.  I stay away from "flea" products, as they all seem to be poison/toxic.  I use baby wash for my dogs bath- gentle, tear-free, and smells like a baby.  For a stinkier dog you could use a liquid hand wash with aloe. I've heard that a few drops of dawn dishing washing liquid mixed in works really well with fleas.
You still need to be careful of "all natural" flea preparations.  Dogs and cats can still have bad reactions to them and I myself lost a cat less than 24 hours after applying an "all natural" flea preparation.  In less than 24 hours he was in complete liver failure and there was no way we could save him.   Some people automatically equate "natural" or "herbal" with "safe", and nothing could be further from the truth.  In fact, some natural or herbal preparations have the potential to be even more dangerous than the chemical preparations because they are not regulated by the FDA, so there are no restrictions or warnings on their sale or use.

Ghilly
I used Sergeants on two of our pugs on August 29, 2009. Please don't  put this awful stuff on your beloved pets!! MY PUGS were so sick. My Maggie Mae was bothered the most. I felt so bad that I  hurt them with this product!! I say it should be REMOVED.

pam
I believe Tea Tree oil is toxic for cats, take a look at this site:
http://www.messybest.com./teatree.htm

It doesn't always figure this way for dogs and cats, as they can be quite different in many respects, but I have also heard it is not good for dogs either (though it is a very effective anti-bacterial for Humans)

Ghilly is so right about herbs. Even if the herbal preparations are pure and well made, and specific for the ailment, they are NOT necessarily suitable for pets. Only a vet who specializes in herbal medicine could advise safely about this.
Sorry....typos there! That url should read:
http://www.messybeast.com/teatree.htm