Is Paraphimosis due to trauma, treatable or deadly?
My family and I had neighbors who abandoned their dog. It's the sweetest animal there is but he was left alone and with no food or water except for what we and other neighbors gave him to eat and drink. Sadly, we found out that he was beaten and kicked by a group of hoodlums, while he was engaged in sexual activity with a female dog. He was dragged away from the female dog before he was done and now he has an injury to his organ--think it's Paraphimosis. I was concerned about him and called animal services but now I feel guilty. 'Cooper', as the neighbors called him, became aggressive, scared and pained when the dog catcher was getting him out of the yard--but he was friendly also and calmed down completely once he was put in the truck. The animal services officer said that it would be up to the vet if 'Cooper' gets euthanized or not. Other than being hungry and scared and having that injury, it didn't look like there was anything else wrong with him. But I feel so guilty for calling because I'm scared about whether he's going to be put down or not because of the injury to his sexual organ. Is that condition treatable by surgery or did I send 'Cooper' to his deathbed? I feel so horribly guilty.
I don't have much experience with this, but I know it depends on how fast he received medical attention. It can be fixed manually, or surgically, but the danger is infection. I don't know shelter vets' policies, so I can't say as to what they would decide with him.. can't you call and find out? If it wasn't too long after the accident, then he should be fine..
Most dogs in city or county shelters get euthanized in 3 days regardless of medical condition.  If you really want to help Cooper, call to see if he is still there and adopt him.  Believe me, I've been in your situation too many times to count.  I always try to go through our SPCA in Houston because the dogs have a much better chance of getting adopted.  I'm so sorry.  These situations are heartbreaking no matter how you look at them.  :-(