Is it normal for a dog to get dry heaves?
My dog is a boxer female. She is about 8 or 9 years old. Last night she was suffering from a case of dry heaves. She has no other symptoms and isn't in any pain. The dry heaves ended sometime in the morning. She seems fine now. Should I be worried?
What did your dog eat that day? What kind of food?
It might just be your dog was thirsty and needed some water, so no, I wouldn't be too awfully worried.
If it happens again, I think I'd see calling up the vet for an appointment.
Was it like a couhging type of dry heave?  My family's older miniature pinscher does that and she's been diagnosed with an enlarged heart and fluid in her lungs.  You might want to get a vet to check it out.
It is just possible she has something stuck in her throat. I would wait a few hours to see how she is. If it doesn't happen again, fine. But if it continues, or happens again another time, I would take her straight to the vet.
Sorry it took me so long to respond. In answer to SaziNinja's question, yes it was a coughing type. But she is better now. I think she might have been sick because my other dog threw up the same day. Thanks for all your help everyone.
If both dogs vomited the same day, it makes me wonder if they ate something they shouldn't have, maybe something they got ahold of in the back yard.  I also think there are contagious "stomach bugs,' for lack of a better term, that go around in the dog population.  My vet thinks that a lot of the self-limiting episodes of GI distress that dogs have are caused by corona-type viruses.
Well my boxer had the dry heaves and my chihuahua vomited. But I do think it was some kind of stomach virus.
Dry heaves is vomiting with nothing on the stomach to come up.
Pit mx one year went out in rain in field two mins came in dry heevs ,freak out or calmly Waite?