Dogs Community
Is it normal for a female in heat to run a higher temperature?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My Chi is 8 months old and under 4lbs and is having her first heat cycle. I have noticed her feeling hotter than normal and sleeping more.(She still runs and plays like crazy outside tho when i take her out) I am curious to know if it is normal to run a fever during the heat cycle or if I should be concerned about her immunizations that she is getting still. we held off getting them when she was younger since so little (she was 1 lb and my male 8 oz). and has bumps at the sites everytime she gets them every 2-3 weeks and still has them when she is getting them again today.  She has had 2 sets of immunizations and rabies and today will be the 3rd. Any ideas?ugh IDK!
ps
i asked the vet about the shot sites and he just said it will go away...and cut the second ones in half doses with her and my male chi.So now all shots are just split between them. He has not shown a heat differance like her so it made me wonder if its the in heat cycle. Im just trying to gather info at this point. I will ask the vet today of course but would like more than one opinion to make sure im giving my pets the best care. I also intend to call the breeder but again I value this forum greatly. Thank you.
Pss
Please do not adivse to spay and neuter my pets I am a very responsible pet owner and all my cats indoor and out are spayed and neutered as well as my horses and all other dogs. Thank you.
Well the vet had an emergency so I didnt get to ask my question. Darn does anyone know if it is normal for a female chi in heat to run a higher temperature or should i worry about it being something else like her shots? a tech gave her the shots but didnt know about the temp question. If no one is sure I may have to leave a message for the vet to call me back but I hate to bother him for one question. thanks everyone for reading.
I think (I am not absolutely certain so you may need to check this with the vet) -that a female in heat has lower temperature on certain days, and higher on other days. To some extent, it fluctuates.
But as far as I know by experience, the heat cycle does not in itself cause a 'temperature' or lassitude, or any other particular symptoms of illness.
I would aks your vet about this. There is no harm. It is possible she has a slight reaction to her shots. It is better to get professional advice.
Darn I was afraid I would have to call him and leave a message when I was just there! ugh  but I truely felt that I would want my vet to put my pet first in an emergency like he had that day with another client that made me totally forget about my question in the first place with him. But he has always called me back or came to the farm even on sundays for my emergencys so I will call and ask him to call at his convienence. Even if it is the shots or her heat cycle tho it seems to not really bother her thank goodness as she still has abundant energy when going outside she runs like a grey hound during a race for a rabbit! lol. It seems to fluctuate during out the day. IDK. I guess it was more of a curiosity to learn more about my breed and what to expect and funny thing is I havent found anything online about chihuahua's about this particular subject matter. I know they naturally run warmer so maybe its her normal temp or a reaction to the shots. She did have a reaction to all her shots so far that the vet had to cut them in half to make it less severe. Any ways sorry so long. But THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE BACK!!! BIG HUGS AND HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY WITH YOUR PET! ;)
To be absolutely sure she IS running a temperature (as just feeling her body for heat can be misleading sometimes) take her temperature (rectally) with a thermometer moistened with Vaseline. Leave it in about 2 minutes (don't let her struggle while you do this. If necessary get someone else to hold her very still)

Anything below 99 degrees or above 102.5 degrees F  is worth a call to the vet.
The normal temperature of both dogs and cats = 101 °F–102.5 °F. (38.3–39.2 °C)
ok will buy a special thermometer for the pets today!! :) thanks!