Dogs Community
Jack Russel

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Jack Russel

Hi i am new here Just would like any tips on a 6 week old Jack Russel Cause she wont sleep at night time any info would be Greatful  Thank You ......Bob
Tags: sleep
Hi Bob.  Actually, I don't know why you have such a young puppy.  Seems that people are letting puppies be taken away from their mother sooner then they should be.  :-(
Aside from that, how long have you had her?  Are you using a crate? Confining her to a bed and closed off area?  She is away from her littermates and her Mom.  You might try using some soft bedding and getting her a stuffed toy and/or a lambs wool toy to put in her bed with her.  What time and what are you feeding her?  Being so young yet, she may also be hungry during the night or early morning.  A little more information might be helpful.  If crate training, and a bit older, you would not want to give in to her whining during the night or she will have you trained quickly.  
I assume she is in good health?  Have you had her checked out by your Vet and has she been wormed and have you signed up for a Puppy Plan with a Vet to get her shots?  It is very important she have her shots and please don't take her out in public (stores, parks, out on the sidewalk and put her down) until all her shots are complete.  You don' t want to risk her contracting Parvo.
You can also do a Google search on crate training your puppy. I am a believer in crate training, when done and used properly.
We can probably give you some advice with a little more info.
What are you feeding her?  What did the person you got her from recommend and had she been weaned or was she still nursing?
Well I haven't the experience of rearing such a young pup (the Jack Russell I had a few years ago came to us when he was about 6 months old) But I can guess that the problem with yours right now is she has been separated from her mother and her litter-mates, and she is feeling terribly lonely.
At this point you have 2 choices. One is you give in completely, take her to your bed to sleep with you...but a warning! If you do that, you cannot go back! For the rest of her life she will sleep with you. It won't work to have her on your bed sometimes, and tip her out when you don't feel like it. She wouldn't understand that and it would cause more problems later on. So it depends if that is what you want, or not. If so -fine. That will probably solve her problem....

The other option is you make a firm decision to have her sleep on her own bed. Training her to do that at such a young age -I have to admit- is something I have no experience with -so watch this space because there are other people in the Community who have better experience than I, and will advise you I'm sure.
Six weeks of age is too young for any puppy to be away from their mother and littermates. A good breeder would never have allowed a puppy to leave at such an important age.  The reason for this is because this is a time that they learn bite inhabition and how to react to the world around them. Your puppy is very lonely and while it will take some time, she will eventually learn to settle herself down for the night. At this age sge will probably be incapable of going through a long night withourt food so you would have to feed her late at night which will also help her to settle down. Puppies eat and sleep. Some people buy a ticking clock and set it near the puppy to mimic the littermate's heartbeat; I don't know how well that actually works....puppies aren't that stupid, certainly Terriers aren't! I know this isn't what you may want to hear, but my advice would be to return your puppy to the person who sold her to you, get your money back and talk to a good breeder about getting you a puppy; in the long run, you are far better of. Take care  
    Hi we had no choice the mum rejected the pups milk dryed up plus mother was starting to attack them we had no choice ????? Need more advice
Hi Bob, can you reread my post and answer some of those questions?  What are you feeding? What breed of dog, etc.
I see you are from the UK.  Do they sell canned goat's milk there?  Do they sell boxed, dry baby rice cereal (the kind you mix with liquid).  You can make up a gruel of the goat's milk and the cereal and feed the pup every 4 hours so, assuming she is eating well on her own.  You can also buy a good quality puppy kibble and put in a blender to make a gruel and mix it with the goat's milk.  Has she been sleeping and where are you putting her at night and during the day?  Do get her something to nestle with, a soft blanket, stuffed toy (nothing with buttons, etc that she can chew off).  I really like the pieces of lamb's wool or the lamb wool toys.  
Hope she is doing okay. Keep us posted.
And to try to get her to the Vet for a check up and get her wormed and on a shot schedule.
     Hi thanks for the advice she is on puppy food she likes it she has a blanket ok also stuffed toys. She is 2 weeks to early to be taken from her mum but my wife is there all the time she is sleeping downstairs wlth her i am in bed alone lol.How old has she got to be for her JABS ???????? please Thankyou ........Bob
Hi Bob,
Check out this site. It's a UK-based site, but much of the information would be useful to anybody, wherever they live:

http://www.vetontheweb.co.uk/pet-clinic-detail.asp?id=31

It will give advice about puppy rearing and innoculation schedules etc.