Dogs Community
Juvenile Renal Disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Juvenile Renal Disease

After adopting a 8wk puppy from a shelter i discovered she was having trouble housebreaking. I brought her to the vet, we did a urine sample,which led to antibotics. When that didn't help we did blood work and an ultrasound. She is now 5months and diagonosed with JRD. I don't know what I should do,I have 2 kids (10 and 7) I haven't told them. I already love this dog but I can already see she will not live a full life. I am torn on what I should do. Does a strict diet and meds really help? Or do you get even more attached to an animal that won't be around for long? Please help me make a decision I can live with. Lisa  
You have a very difficult challenge, I cannot advise, for I am too sentimental, but I want to Welcome you to the Dog Forum, there are great people here and keep checking in, they will post comments and maybe somone has the suggestions of advice to maybe help you difficult decisions..
I am sorry about this fragile situation you and your family are in...
Hi Lisa:  My shephard/husky had kidney stones (lots) removed in 2002 and I didn't think
she would survive but she did.  On June 1, 2008 I lost her to end stage renal disease;  I
had her for 6 more years.  She was 13-1/2 when she died and that is not too shabby
an age for a large dog.  May I suggest a low protein diet, such as rice, mashed potatoes,tuna, boiled eggs (easiest protein to digest) and chicken.  You can buy low
protein food but it is very expensive, as least here in Canada.  Your vet can advise you
what to do;  you may be able to have dialysis at this stage.

I used to cook a large pot of potatoes or brown rice and add the eggs, tuna or chicken.
She certainly loved that special food and it was proably better for her than the processed
stuff anyway.  Please keep us all informed if you take your pup to the vet.  I think all
is not gloom and doom!!!

Bobbe
The good news is that you got the diagnosis early.  While there is no cure for kidney disease or failure, there are things you can do to slow down the damage to the kidney tissue.  Phosphorus is to be avoided as much as possible.  As for meds, I found most of them to be expensive and not all that effective.  One of the best things you can do is add calcium to your dog's diet, because it binds to phosphorus and gets it out of the body.  A simple Tums tablet daily will accomplish that function easily.

While it's true that protein is processed in the kidneys, it's not the protein itself that is at issue.  What you want is a more easily digested form of protein.  Dogs absolutely must have protein for good nutrition - particularly young active puppies - so avoiding protein can cause more harm than good.  I could write a book on sources of protein for dogs in kidney failure, but someone else has already done that.  

The following link is a good 40 pages when you print the entire article.  Do it.  Read it. Follow the advice.  The information in this article ended up being my Bible where my dog was concerned.  Your pup could easily have many happy years with you with some dietary adjustments and close monitoring of symptoms.  I know it seems overwhelming right now, but you'll soon find that a special diet really isn't that big of a deal.   Hang in there!  :-)

Here's the link - just copy and paste it into your browser-www.dogaware.com/kidney.html