Dogs Community
Kennel Cough or Not?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Kennel Cough or Not?

I adopted a 2 month old Chihuahua mix (think she's a Chiweenie) today from my local shelter. I took her from there to my vet to be checked out, and she started sneezing in the waiting area. My vet examined her, pressed on her throat which caused her to cough, and said she has kennel cough. I took her back to the shelter, they examined her, and said they don't think so. She has no discharge from her eyes or nose, and told me to watch for that.

The few times I took her out to do her "business" today, she was very playful and running around, and would occasionally sneeze then, or cough a time or two.

Concerned and confused.
Hi. Don't be too worried at this stage. Kennel cough is not unusual and, in younger dogs, it normally clears up by itself within 3 weeks. However, it is important to stress a few things ... first, if it doesn't get any better within the next 2 to 3 weeks, get your vet to prescribe antibiotics to treat it. Next, try to keep your puppy out of the cold and try using a harness instead of a lead as it will help with the coughing, particularly if your pup strains against the lead.

Next, has your young pup had its vaccinations? If the course is not complete (very doubtful given its age), then do not walk her out of your own grounds, because there is a danger of contracting various illnesses including the potentially fatal parvo virus.

Finally, is this kennel cough or is the typical nasal drip that is often found in small dogs. It may be worth researching this online so you know what to look out for.

Important: if your pup appears to develop heavy or rapid breathing, stops eating properly or becomes listless, contact your vet straight away as this could indicate a more serious problem.

Tony
Hi Tony, and thanks for taking the time to respond. I just up and changed vets...This one took over the practice of my vet whom I respected about 3 months ago, and truth be told, I've had my concerns about her anyhow. The staff is fleeing left and right which says something to me as well.

Anyhow... I took her to the new vet this morning, and MAYBE she has a little uri going on and we'll just watch it. She did everything the other vet didn't do on her initial assessment of Molly, eyes, teeth, ears, lungs, heart, and she got a clean bill of health. :)

She's a good pup, smart as a whip, and other than being nippy (puppy stuff) and showing signs of aggression and actually biting on a couple occasions when she didn't like something I was doing to her (moving her,  harness on/off, removing sweater), I couldn't be happier. Vet got to see this aggression and feels it can be dealt with successfully... We start puppy obedience classes this week.
That's great. Sounds like this vet is a keeper! Yes, little Chi's are often way too big for their boots, so it is worth keeping up the obedience classes. Ha. I hope the both of you enjoy sharing some great experiences, adventures and companionship in the weeks, months and years to come. Tony
It actually may not be kennel cough.  Many things can make them sneeze, from an allergy to something to sniffing a glass that contained an alcoholic beverage.  As far as the cough, chihuahuas and other small dogs are commonly afflicted with collapsing tracheas, and palpating the throat is a way to trigger that when looking for it.

I would just keep an eye on her.  Kennel cough causes a loud, honking cough, famous for keeping owners awake at night.  And even if it did turn out to be kennel cough (actual name is canine cough or bordetella bronchiseptica), unless there is another respiratory condition to complicate things, it's fairly self-limiting and goes away on it's own without medication.  It's more bothersome to the owner than to the dog, hearing the dog hacking all night long while the household tries to sleep.

Ghilly