Kidney disease symptoms?
My chocolate lab was diagnosed with kidney disease about 2 yrs ago. I first started him on the KD dogfood but heard that it caused muscle wasting so I researched homemade diets. I found one and have continued to cook this diet for Sparky since his diagnosis. He has done really well but lately I have noticed that he is panting more than usual. It has been hot in our part of the country but we have a yellow lab who doesnt pant as much.  The last couple of days we have noticed Sparkys legs seem weak. He stumbles and his back legs seems to give out when he goes down the stairs. His appetite is still great! I have been giving him Tums for the past few days because he is waking us up in the night to have a bowel movement and its always loose. Since giving him the Tums, he isnt going out at night. Is the giving out of his back legs a symptom of this darn kidney disease?  I am scheduling an appt tomorrow but thought I would ask all of you. Sparky is 12 years old and the love of our lives! What a wonderful dog he is and it is breaking my heart to watch him go downhill. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
I'm afraid I don't know a great deal about kidney disease in dogs. But there have been a number of very informative posts on here over the past few years....I'll see if I can hunt any down that might help you, and post back.
There is a very helpful response by Dr Goldman on the Expert Forum, you could take a look at:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Animal-Health---General/medicines-for-kidney-failure/show/1088952

If I find any more I'll add them.