Dogs Community
Kidney failure in dogs

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Kidney failure in dogs

Can dogs ever recover from kidney failure? I'm devastated upon reading how sick they get.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Yes, in our veterinary clinic, many dogs recover from canine kidney failure with an organic or home made diet made with high quality low residue proteins, B-Vitamins to boost red blood cell production and combat the anemia which is usually associated with canine kidney failure and aluminum hydroxide to bind and remove excess phosphorus.
Should you want to follow up with me, that would be fine.
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM
My yellow lab has developed kidney failure, which has been diagnosed as chronic rather than acute. She just turned 8, and does not behave like a sick dog. I took her to the vet last week thinking she might have pulled a tendon in her leg. Her leg checked out fine, but the vet did blood work, just to check, and then called me and said she was in end-stage kidney failure. At the time I received the phone call, my dog was jumping up and down at the front door greeting the FedEx delivery man, who she adores.
She has had IV fluid therapy for a couple of days, but it didn't help much. Her BUN went from 129 to 114, CREA from 11.3 to 10.6. She is anemic. The vet said there is nothing more they can do, so we brought her home. She jumped up into the car and jumped out when we got home. She came into the house wagging her tail and looking around like she couldn't understand what all the fuss is about.
She is sleeping more this week, but she is still interested in the world around her. She has never had an accident in the house. Her appetite is good. She does not have diarrhea. She vomited a number of times last week (she was on doxycycline because she had a UTI and the vet gave her that in case she had leptospirosis. The results of the lepto test turned out negative.) She is not vomiting now and eats and drinks well.
Do you think there is anything we can do? I know the numbers are ugly, but she is still wagging her tail and playing with the cats....
Actually, dealing with that now with our 12-year old Greyhound.  Even though his BUN was  normal, he is loosing protein in his urine.  When these dogs loose weight, they loose it quickly and you can really notice. I figured kidney or cancer when I took him in.  I've been in contact with a Vet friend who is pretty Greyhound savy.  Used to be, kidney failure called for ID food.  She advised me not any more.  It's not the amount of protein you have to watch but the source of the protein and the keeping the level of phosphorus down.  I am presently feeding Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato (kibble and canned).  He is also on Pepcid twice a day and on a BP med once a day to try and keep the pressure down in the kidneys.  I have also picked up some green tripe, as that is good for them and actually recommended in some kidney diets. It stinks like heck!!  LOL!
I don't know if/when we will need fluids. I'll cross that bridge when we come to it and see how he is doing.
Here is one link with some useful information    http://www.dogaware.com/health/kidney.html
I've never posted before. My belle was given a month 2 live two months ago. She reaches her 11th birthday on 23 rd of this month.    I really noticed a difference in last three days. The smell in house is really sweet. She seems down. Had diarrhoea and looks bloated. I want her t go t sleep. Was advised by vet t pick up some powder t sprinkle on her favourite food. If you can not get your baby t eat was told cat food is easy digest able. Just want her t go peacefully in her sleep. But it's looking more unlikely. We had wonderful summer together. But I can feel her time coming up. It hurts so bad. But I don't want her suffering
Hi. Please join us on the CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS User Group here on MedHelp. You will receive good support there from owners that have the experience of having a dog with kidney disease and how to manage it.

In the meantime, please read my article about canine kidney failure here :

http://www.infobarrel.com/My_10-Point_Plan_for_Dogs_with_Kidney_Failure

I think it may help you and Belle.

Tony
Hi Tony.  Can you post a link to the user group.  I can no longer find.  Thanks.
Hi. The last time I posted a link it turned out to be a personal one, i.e. only worked from my PC, so the best way is to go to the Search Bar on the MedHelp top-page bar and paste CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS.

This should show you the User Group - just go to it and join.

Hope that works okay for you.

Tony