I have an 8 year old Chocolate lab. Until about 6 month ago he was progressively gettin more overweight, had more and more hair loss, skin iritations, dandruff, a bad odor and was lathargic. The vet ran some blood tests and he was diagnosed with a thyroid condition. He has been taking thyrosyn for the past 6 months. He lost weight, his hair grew back, he smells like a dog, his dandruf stopped, he had more energy, etc.
2 months ago he developed a dry cough, kept hacking until he threw up white flem (phlegm). This has progressively gotten worse. He no longer thows up, but continues to cough and has extreme trouble breathing. (his toung even turned blue) He seems to breath better when he is laying on his stomach. When he moves he starts to cough and can't breath.
He has been back to the vet twice. We asked about the medication, but she does not think that is the problem. She ran more blood tests and x-rays. The x-rays showed an abnormality (mass) at the bottom of his windpipe near his lungs. His wind pipe is turned down and does not go straight into his lungst. There is no sign of cancer in the bloodwork.
The cough continues, he has extreme dificulty breathing, The vet perscribed SMZ-TMP for a week. That didn't help.
We went back to the vet she prescribed more SMZ-TMP, Torbutrol, and Lasix. He stopped eating for 3 days. Yesterday I was able to hand feed him some yougurt and then later some canned food. (He nomally eats dry).
The vet said she does not know what is wrong but would research it. I am afraid my dog will be dead before she figures it out. We will be going to another vet for another opinion. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I may be very far off the mark, but could it be possible he has some food or foreign body stuck down there? It could have set up some swelling or inflammation?
Or if there is a small tumor (probably benign, as his bloodwork shows no signs of cancer), with the abnormality of the shape of his windpipe it could make a more dramatic effect on his breathing than if he had a normally-shaped windpipe...
It might be a very good idea for you to post this urgent question on the "Ask a Vet" forum.
To get there, scroll down this page till you get to ANIMAL HEALTH-GENERAL under RELATED EXPERT FORUMS down on the right. The vets there may be able to help you.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.