Dogs Community
Labored Breathing and dry cough
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Labored Breathing and dry cough

I have an 8 year old Chocolate lab.   Until about 6 month ago he was progressively gettin more overweight, had more and more hair loss, skin iritations, dandruff, a bad odor and was lathargic.  The vet ran some blood tests and he was diagnosed with a thyroid condition.  He has been taking thyrosyn for the past 6 months.  He lost weight, his hair grew back, he smells like a dog, his dandruf stopped, he had more energy, etc.
2 months ago he developed a dry cough, kept hacking until he threw up white flem (phlegm).  This has progressively gotten worse.  He no longer thows up, but continues to cough and has extreme trouble breathing.  (his toung even turned blue)  He seems to breath better when he is laying on his stomach.  When he moves he starts to cough and can't breath.  
He has been back to the vet twice.  We asked about the medication, but she does not think that is the problem.  She ran more blood tests and x-rays.    The x-rays showed an abnormality (mass) at the bottom of his windpipe near his lungs.  His wind pipe is turned down and does not go straight into his lungst.  There is no sign of cancer in the bloodwork.  
The cough continues, he has extreme dificulty breathing, The vet perscribed SMZ-TMP for a week.  That didn't help.  

We went back to the vet she prescribed more SMZ-TMP, Torbutrol, and Lasix.  He stopped eating for 3 days.  Yesterday I was able to hand feed him some yougurt and then later some canned food.  (He nomally eats dry).  

The vet said she does not know what is wrong but would research it.  I am afraid my dog will be dead before she figures it out.  We will be going to another vet for another opinion.   Any help will be greatly appreciated.