Dogs Community
Lethargy in puppy

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Lethargy in puppy

We have a 16 week old lab mix puppy. We had house guests who brought their boder collie for the weekend. They left yesterday morning and our puppy has done nothing but sleep since then. She can barely move this morning. She has not lost her appetite and is still drinking water. She doesn't want to go outside at all(there is a hurricane coming) and when we get her outside, all her hair stands up, she'll pee and run back to the door. She still hasn't pooped today. Could this level of lethargy be caused from too much playtime/muscle soreness? Or should we be worried it's something more serious? Our vet is closed and the emergency vet is not answering(there is a hurricane coming).
First off, is she up to date on all her shots?  Was the visiting dog sick at all?
She may just be worn out and missing the playmate and puppies often sleep a lot.
I think the weather is probably the cause of the reluctance to go out.
Since she is eating and drinking, I don't think I would be too concerned but keep an eye on her.
Any vomiting, bad stools, lack of eating and drinking would warrant a check up with the Vet.  
If you know how to take a temp with a "rectal" thermometer, you can check that.  A temp of 103 or over would be a concern.
She is up to date on all shots. She was due for her 16 week booster this past Monday, but the vet was closed due to the hurricane. We ended up taking into the emergency vet yesterday at 530 am. She was restless in her crate and when I took her out to potty she had peed in her, something she has never done before. She was also coughing so my husband and I luckily found an er vet that was open and rushed her. They said they wanted to keep her and give her fluids and antibiotics. They called us about 20 minutes later to tell us that her blood test came back and she had very high kidney levels.

We met with the internist later that day and he did a sonar gram(as all the x-ray machines were out of commission due the hurricane). Her kidneys were 'brighter' than normal. He told us she most likely has scar tissue on her kidneys and if her levels were down by the next morning it is most likely an infection. We left her overnight to see if the fluids and antibiotics worked. We went back to the vet this morning(as the phones are down) to find out that the levels did go down overnight and he thinks it could be an infection, leptospirosis. He is now doing a joint fluid test(I'm guessing to rule out Lyme disease) and then said we could possibly take her home this afternoon. Here's to hoping!