Life for Pug After Long-term Prednisone Use?
My 12 year old pug has been on prednisone for the past year, 1/4 tablet every day, because his arthritis was so bad Rimadyl was no longer giving him proper pain relief. I love my dog so much, it's painful to see him struggle to get out of bed, but he's a fighter and I don't want to be the one that ends the fight for him. I noticed he has gained weight with the Prendisone and he continues to struggle with mobility. I was wondering what the impact would be of ceasing the steroidal medicine and reverting to non-steroidal? I have read that long-term prednisone use is bad for a pet's health, but I'm curious as to whether my little friend's death is inevitable should I decide to quit the steroidal prescription and give him stronger dose of non-steroidal medicine.

Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom with people like me that are thoroughly confused/concerned.
so sorry to hear this. what does your vet think do you like your vet and trust that its best for your baby. i had a shihtzu that was on preds for many many years, he was 17 when he passed and yes the preds gave him a enlarged heart and liver and cushings, so it has its down falls but like my vet said if he can not live what life he has in a good way than what are you doing . i knew the meds were bad for him but with out them he would not lived as long as he did, mine to gained lots weight he was 42 pds when i had to put him down thats huge for a shihtzu, but nothing elsa i could do, i loved my baby and its very hard to give them up, so ask your vet whats best for yours. good luck with it .