Dogs Community
Liquid diet for dogs

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Liquid diet for dogs

We have a Dachshund who had to have back surgery due to a disk problem.  Had had become paralyzed in his hind legs after a fall.  Since the surgery he has regained movement in his legs, but his digestive system has not fully recovered.  It has been over a year and a half since the surgery so we have given up on him making anymore improvement.  He is unable to control his bowels so he empties at random times, even during his sleep.  It has become very difficult to keep him clean due to this problem.  We have tried keeping him on a feeding schedule, and also tried diapers, but nothing seems to work.  Is there a diet that we can put him on, such as a liquid diet, or any other form of diet that will reduce the amount of feces that he creates, or even eliminates bowel movements altogether?  We love our dog very much and want to make sure that he is happy and healthy.  Please give us any advice that you can to help us.  Thank-you
You can't eliminate bowel movements.  Sorry, but it's a normal part of living.  Even with reduced fiber and food intake stool will still form and it has to come out.  

Any necessary change in diet means you'll also have to provide a daily multi-vitamin to avoid malnutrition.  Missing Link is a great one, but can be expensive.

What kind of diapers are you using?  If you're using diapers for human babies, that doesn't work so well.  You can get doggie "shorts" that are made for dogs and insert a feminine napkin.  These are used for incontinent dogs as well as females in heat.

Try posting your question to Dr. Cheng on the Ask a Vet forum here at Med Help.  She practices holistic Chinese medicine as well as western veterinary medicine, and I'm certain she'll have some great ideas for you.
I have a 16 year-old English Bulldog who has gone downhill very fast in the past three weeks.  At first we were able to hand feed him his food, but now he won't eat at all.  I was wondering whether "Ensure", the nutritional drink for humans, would be okay to give him in order to get some calories into his system.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Miranda
i have two and half year labrador dog who just went through intestinal surgery four days back today i have started giving some milk and yogurt and some water is  it ok or should i do something different.
Reply will be highly appreciated
thanks,
Yash
Sorry Yash, your question didn't get an answer before. Because you posted on the back end of an old thread (even though an appropriate one!) it may not get so many responses as if you started a whole new thread with your question.....silly, but that's how it goes sometimes.

I hope your dog is Ok after the surgery. But it is strange that your vet (or the vet who performed the surgery) didn't give you some advice about after-care, including diet. I am unsure exactly what is right to give him. I think you could call your vet and ask for some advice. They won't charge you for a phone call.

Milk is not generally a good idea for dogs. Dogs can very often be lactose-intolerant, though some dogs can be OK with very very small quantities, infrequently.

If your dog can take liquids at the moment you could try unseasoned chicken broth (ie water in which chicken has been boiled) Or the same with fish. Something very  light to start with. But I am not sure how and when you should slowly start to re-introduce solids. You need advice from the vet.
Thanks for replying.well my bruno was recovering perfectly till yesterday when i realised thatbandage was wet when i opened there was somekind of fluid all over the shaved skin.i again went to surgeon and he said sutures are alright but the bandage did the worse skin got inflamated its looking really bad.i love him very much more then anything in my life please tell me what home remedies can i do.surgeon game some powder.is he fine or not....?i dont know
please reply soon.
I know exactly what I would use for this, but I am sticking my neck out here. I don't really want to interfere with your vet's treatment or advice....
However, if you can obtain ECHINACEA ANGUSTIFOLIA herbal tincture, and MYRRH herbal tincture, mix a teaspoonful of each together, plus a few spoonfuls of water. Bathe the wound/skin every few hours with a cotton wool pad soaked in this liquid.
If you can keep the wounds open to the air (if advisable at all) -that would help, in between bathings.
If you can prevent him from licking at the wound, that would be good. Put an Elizabethan Collar on him. Licking at it will make it worse, and also I am not sure if ingesting Myrrh is good for dogs, although licking a little Echinacea wouldn't do any harm.
I have a lot of experience of using these herbs with both myself and my dog, and they are amazing for this kind of thing. You may well start to see results in a couple of days.
Make sure it is Echinacea ANGUSTIFOLIA not Echinacea PURPUREA.

Again, I don't want to give advice that might clash with your vet's advice. And what I say is just my personal view.
hey Thanks bud for replying.Actually it was some seroma coming out of sutures i regularily applied powder given by my vet and antibiotics now sutures are perfectly alright and he is passing the stool as well normally.tomorrow vet will open his sutures.thanks god
Thanks Dear for concern
i have a year old dobbie for the last past  2 days he has been very sick.he is still drinkig water but he will not eat.i took him to the vet on wensday and they ran all the test.the x ray showed something forigen in his stomach.we need to get him to eat so he can try to pass what ever is in his stomach.all the vet gave was a pill to settle his stomach and antibiotic...what can i feed him threw a seringe so he can have some nutrition?
Start a new post with your question and you will get more replies.  Have you tried baby food, without onion or garlic in it?
hey sissy hows dobby now,anyhow he ate something or not yet if yes he should not have vomit it back if there is some foreign body in stomach action need to be taken soon as it can be danger for your dog life as same thing happened to my Labrador dog nearly 5 months back surgery was done to remove that foreign body do it soon or it ll be very late gave him some laxatives and see if what he ate should digest in case he vomit it back then its serious he might vomit black liquid when things will get worse u can mail me on ***@**** i pray he get well soon
mail me on ursparry @  gmail . com