Dogs Community
Little Tucker getting better, but ......

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Tucker is getting much better since his head injury.  He is eating on his own and drinking.  He rests most of the day, but when he gets up he wants to interact with the other dogs.  When we call him, it is almost as if he doesn't know his name,  sometimes in reacts to it other times he does not.  

Since I have been the person to make sure he eats, drinks,and takes his meds, he won't let me hold him.  In fact he really doesn't want to be held.  I am concerned as he is only 11 weeks old now and he needs to be social as well as get better.  And I guess I can't help but feel bad because he doesn't want me to hold him.  

Has anyone had something like this happen to them and were your expereinces like this?
Glad to hear Tucker is doing better and I so hope he continues to improve.  Vet come up with anything definitive?  I would not be too concerned about an 11 week old puppy not responding to his name all the time.  I wouldn't be too concerned that he won't let you hold him either.  Pups go through different developmental periods and they may be one way one week and the complete opposite the next.  At this point, I would not try to hold him and esp not off the ground. Get down to his level and try to entice him to be with you with treats, toys, etc.  He may let you hold him next week.  Look at this puppy right now like you would a 2 year old child.  I've raised a lot of puppies over the years and seen so many different personalities, etc.  
due to what he has been through, I would be keeping a close eye out his behavior (fear, disorientation, aggression, etc).  It's good he is wanting to interact with the other dogs.
What meds are you giving him?  Is it liquid or pill form?  How are you giving the meds?  If you  have pill form, get some pill pockets, cheese, etc, that you can put the pill in.  At 11 weeks, you can start some *training* by teaching *Come*, *Sit*, etc.  or even teach him the word *Cookie*.  Put the meds in the pill pocket, cheese, etc and tell him to *Come* and when he does, make it seem like a reward.  
Let me tell you, if I had dogs that chose to ignore me when I called their name, they all came running if I said *Cookie*.   :-)